Assault?

I trained in martial arts before I ever decided to get into EMS. I have never had any reason to use this knowledge to defend myself. One of the first things taught in martial arts is how to spot a possible problem and either avoid it or find another way to deal with the situation.

As for what others do, I don't know. My service protocalls state that if a pt is violent and is attempting to injur others we ask a LEO on scene to cuff them if Kurlex won't do the job and then have the LEO ride with us to the hospital. This mostly negates the danger to the EMTs.

HTH.

There are several posts in regards to this topic, you might do a search. Yes, there are several assaults in this field and it is pretty routine. I suggest to check DT4EMS web site, he is a Paramedic that teaches protective defense. Using self defense against a patient (especially known psychiatric) can be a felony. Use protective measures as well and caution. this is a very dangerous job and career, and one needs to be aware of that.

R/R 911

Assaults on providers can and do happen. How frequently depends on your call volume and the area in which you work. I work in an inner city, so there's no shortage of people with nothing to lose and people who live by fighting on the streets. I have been assaulted by patients, both with PD present and without. You try to avoid the problem before it becomes one. If that doesn't work you have physical restraint, and here we have chemical restraint (for paramedics) on standing orders. We can also request the PD (since they are not sent to every call with us). Just be aware of your surroundings and learn how to read people. Listen to others around you as well if they are experienced and get the feeling it's time to leave.

Shane

NREMT-P

Assaults happen with alarming frequency. Most EMS organizations don't teach self-defense, as there is a pervasive "if we don't acknowledge it, then we can't be held liable if you get hurt" attitude. As far as protection, I wear concealable body armor on the street, as I believe all EMTs should.

Much of personal defense is, as previously stated, a matter of situational awareness. A bit of verbal judo goes a long way. If you recognize the signs that someone is ramping up to becoming agitated, you can do a lot to head that off. If they are already agitated and potentially combative, flee.

'zilla

Assaults happen with alarming frequency. Most EMS organizations don't teach self-defense, as there is a pervasive "if we don't acknowledge it, then we can't be held liable if you get hurt" attitude. As far as protection, I wear concealable body armor on the street, as I believe all EMTs should.

Much of personal defense is, as previously stated, a matter of situational awareness. A bit of verbal judo goes a long way. If you recognize the signs that someone is ramping up to becoming agitated, you can do a lot to head that off. If they are already agitated and potentially combative, flee.

'zilla

+1 for wearing body armor. I wear it daily on the job due to the area that I work with and the unpredictability of the job. Once you're used to wearing it, it doesn't bother you at all.

Also forgot to mention in my initial post that I also have five years of martial arts training behind me as well which helps when it comes to control holds to stop a patient from trying to hurt you.

Shane

NREMT-P

Want me to post the X-rays of my missing molar courtesy of a patient unhappy with our customer service?

BTW, he was a drunk, not a psych, he swung first, I didn't say anything to provoke him (really, I mean it). I still did the transport. The guy, unfortunately, fell several times on the way to the ambulance, the poor fellow. You really need to watch your step when you're intoxicated. :wink:

They actually have a term for this and I'm REALLY surprised that not one of the old pros on this board didn't mention it by name. It's called Scene Safety. Anytime you roll up on scene you should be aware of what's going on around you. If it's an assault or crime scene ( or potential scene for that matter) then you need to have PD there to make it safe and even then keep your eyes open. You cannot do ANYTHING for your pt if you are DEAD or INJURED. I remember when I was in Police Academy I had hero syndrome real bad. I was willing to give my life so someone else might live. Boy is that a load of crap. Keep your eyes open on scene and if you get gut feeling that something is wrong it probably is. Get out and wait for assistance. The best protection you've got are your Mark 1's(eyeballs) that God gave you and a good gut check. Be safe out there. For you sake, your families sake and your pt's...

You can practice the best scene safety techniques but yet, it won't guarantee you a thing...

I picked up a patient from the airport one afternoon. He was very intoxicated and had missed his flight. He stumbled around and fell over and bystanders called EMS. He was very cooperative with us the entire time, never gave a hint of violence (yet he is intoxicated, so always expect the unexpected). Enroute to the ED he decides he wants off the cot and out of the truck going down the highway. I tried explaining to him that it wasn't going to work that way and he didn't like it. He decided to take a swing at me and from that point it was on. He wailed on me on my partner for a few brief seconds before we got him "under control". It was one of the worst mistakes that dude could have made, but he didn't make it out of my truck, and he got much more than he ever bargained for. You just have to remember that even the most routine of calls can get out of control in a hurry, even when you haven't had any hints or precursors of trouble to come, you got to always be prepared for anything and everything.

Regarding scene safety with drunks or EDPs:

When in doubt, EMS back out,

Let the LEOs sort it out.

Let them secure, and then let your

team transport the patient towards a cure!

(Hey! He's a poet, and didn't know it!)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.