I Wish You Could/An old poem for you to enjoy

emtb4life

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:28 pm Post subject: I wish

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT :lol:

I WISH YOU COULD (original)

I wish you could see the sadness of a businessman as his livelihood goes up in flames or that of a family returning home, only to find their house and belongings damaged or destroyed.

I wish you could know what it is like to search a burning bedroom for trapped children, flames rolling above your head, your palms and knees burning as you crawl, the floor sagging under your weight as the kitchen beneath you burns.

I wish you could comprehend a wife's horror at 3 A.M. as I check her husband of forty years for a pulse and find none. I start CPR anyway, hoping against hope to bring him back, knowing intuitively it is too late, but wanting his wife and family to know everything possible was done.

I wish you could know the unique smell of burning insulation, the taste of soot-filled sweat and mucus, the feeling of intense heat through your turnout gear, the sound of flames crackling, and the eeriness of being able to see absolutely nothing in dense smoke - sensations I am all too familiar with.

I wish you could understand how it feels to go to work in the morning after having spent most of a December night cold and soaking-wet at a multiple alarm fire.

I wish you could read my mind as I respond to a building fire: Is this a false alarm or a working fire? How is the building constructed? What hazards await us? Is anyone trapped? Or to an EMS call: What is wrong with the patient? Is it minor or life-threatening? Is the person who called for us really in distress or is he waiting for us with a 2X4, or a gun?

I wish you could be in the emergency room with me as a doctor pronounces dead the beautiful little four-year old girl I have tried so hard to save during the past twenty-five minutes, who will never go on her first date or say, "Mommy, I love you" again.

I wish you could know the frustration I feel in the cab of an engine - foot pressing hard on the siren button, arm tugging again and again at the air horn lanyard, as you fail to yield the right-of-way at an intersection or in traffic. When you need us, however, your first comment upon our arrival will be, "It took you forever to get here!"

I wish you could read my thoughts as I extricate a teenage girl from the mangled remains of her automobile: What if this were my sister? My daughter? What will her parents reaction be as they open their front door to find a police officer standing there, hat in hand?

I wish you could know how it feels to walk in the back door and greet your family, not having the heart to tell them that you nearly didn't come home from the alarm you were just on.

I wish you could feel my hurt as people verbally (and sometimes physically) abuse me or belittle what I do, or as they express their attitude of "It will never happen to me."

I wish you could realize the physical, emotional, and mental drain of missed meals, lost sleep, missed or foregone social activities and intimate moments, in addition to all the tragedy my eyes have viewed.

I wish you could know the brotherhood and self-satisfaction of helping save a life or preserving someone's property, of being there in times of crisis, of creating order from chaos.

Unless you have lived the life of a firefighter, you will never truly understand or appreciate who we are, what we do, or what the job we perform really means to us. I wish you could.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the sentiment is not completely lost, it reminds me of something my great grandmother used to tell me. Being a young kid we all wish for things from time to time. This was the reply I got:

"Wish in one hand, $hit in the other. See which one fills up first."

Sometimes you do what you can. Other times it's best to speak your mind. And other times yet it's best to keep your mouth shut.

-be safe.

No offense, but there are plenty of places where firefighters can lament over the difficulties of their job. This is not one of those places. This is a site for EMS professionals. Sorry, I'm really not in the mood for fire heroics right now. :roll:

Arg. I've seen that before, and I think it's a pretty good poem. But, I don't have much say in anything... lol

Most EMS people aren't in the mood for fire heroics... I think I'm screwed up because I come from both ends of the spectrum. :wink:

It reminds me that we all have a job to do, each with its own difficulties. I owe my life to two firefighters who cared for me as EMS professionals over a year ago.. they're also now primarily EMS and my best friends. No likee, no readee! Although if we start talking about the best way to attack certain fires, I will shoot someone :twisted:

Wendy

NREMT-B

Sorry, but if I hear another FF doing the "You don't know, man, you don't know..." routine, I'm going to hang myself with my stethoscope. Save it for the badge bunnies.

Sorry, but if I hear another FF doing the "You don't know, man, you don't know..." routine, I'm going to hang myself with my stethoscope. Save it for the badge bunnies.

Considering the lack of business on the fire side these days, im not sure any FF has the position in life to lament a damn thing.

Those of you that know me, know that I hate pretenders and I hate people that plagarize. When I read that poem, it sounded so familiar. I have an excellent memory. That poem has been around for years! I notice in the title you state it is an original but you do not say to whom...is it original to you? Give credit where it is due but do not take it when it is not deserved. If you are reposting poetry, it is proper eitquette to cite the source or attach a statement that says not yours but you wanted to share.

http://www.kirksvillecity.com/Fire/i-wish-you-could.htm

Those of you that know me, know that I hate pretenders and I hate people that plagarize. When I read that poem, it sounded so familiar. I have an excellent memory. That poem has been around for years! I notice in the title you state it is an original but you do not say to whom...is it original to you? Give credit where it is due but do not take it when it is not deserved. If you are reposting poetry, it is proper eitquette to cite the source or attach a statement that says not yours but you wanted to share.

http://www.kirksvillecity.com/Fire/i-wish-you-could.htm

To the admin, could we add to the TOS to hang at the stake the next idiot that does this? Blindfold, and hang them from their toes, and beat them with poetry books, in a proverbial poetic pinyata game?

ok...maybe not.

To everyone, lets be reminded to quote all referenced material appropriately...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.