EVOC recertification, a necessary evil?

Ok kids, PRPG's question of the day.

I've noticed one distinct lack of reeducation in Public Safety services is EVOC. I pose two questions today to the board dwellers.

1.) Does your service, or state require you to recertify EVOC?

2.) If not, what are your feelings on a timed certification for EVOC? How often is enough?

As far as I know there is no requirement here even for formal EVOC training, usually it is required by the insurance carriers. However, my service requires either you have EVOC every 2 yrs. or every year, dependent on when the class is presented. Whenever, we have hire new people, we make the rest of crews take it again, for refresher (at least the serpentine and handling portion).

Be safe,

R/R 911

PRPG,

My service does not require EVOC at all. We do require defensive driving every two yrs. They will accept EVOC if you wish to take the course , however you must pay for it yourself. Our junior college here has a top ranked Criminal Justice program that has EVOC built in to it. I think and am pushing the service here to require an EVOC course every two yrs on top of defencive driving.

But to answer your question , Yes i think a recert on EVOC every two yrs minimum.

We have to take it to renew your state license (Every 2 yrs) if you maintain the 'driver' portion. (i.e. Paramedic/Driver)

The class to me is a kind of joke--as I was a cop and pursuit driving/motorcycle instructor.

Guess one thing I find funny is that the course is really a couple of hours in an evening and MAYBE a short stint in a parking lot around cones (for the first timers). We really should have more wheel time in driving dynamics and handling--especially with the type 3's around here (pregnant whales).

Of course we have many local FD's who let any 18 yr old take the wheel of a Pumper or Tanker---that is what really scares the crap out of me.

I have to concur with the the others previous posts. NC does not require us to have EVOC, but our service does and that is a good thing IMHO.

It should have been included in the Nat'l curriculum, but I digress. :roll:

My department requires EVOC to drive emergent in county apparatus.

In VA, you can take EVOC through the Virginia Department of Fire Programs which requires no re-certification or CE or you can take it through the Virginia Association of Volunteer Rescue Squads and then have to re-cert every two years.

Seems in my area it is up to the station. My station requires EVOC and Training time before you can drive. I think it is 5 hours day, 5 night, 10 Emergency responses and 5 patient transports before you are cut loose.

I know of a station that is 100 miles, then some responses and transports. Have of driving 50 miles from station and 50 back, then if it is a busy weekend can get responses and transports and be cut loose in a day.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.