Looking Your Best for the Paramedics

Ridryder 911

I have to wonder whether this applies to clothing lint being inside one's navel (belly-button for the not so intelligent at this moment). I don't know how many times I've had to do CPR, put monitor leads on, listen to lung sounds, etc. that pt's have had lint in their navels.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see why people want to get all dressed up to go to the hospital. First we have to take their coat off to get VS and start IV's, open their shirt to place electrodes, and expose whatever they say they hurt. Then when we get them to the ER the first thing they do is make them take off all their clothes and put on that stupid looking backless gown.......Try explaining all this as the whole family is making sure Grandpa looks good.

Wow....I'd say the majority of my patients have been gross in some way or another. Yeah...it's sad...and it does get SO old... It's a breath of very rare fresh air when one actually looks decent, has clean clothes on, nice/clean teeth and doesn't smell. And...sadly....most of mine ARE NOT homeless...and as mentioned here before, manage to have the other "necessities". Cigarettes...check. Alcohol....check. Cable....check. Chew....check. Drugs....check.

Hmmmm the concept of sick people looking ... ummmm... sick... go figure!

I subscribe wholeheartedly to the "Don't even think about cutting my clothes off!" idea (I know all of the EMT's & Paramedics in a 4 County area..someday I'll have to tell you my fall down and go BOOM story)...

We have a select few frequent flyers that we deal with, that are most definitely double glovers. full BSI required :shock:.

Along the lines of Anatomychick's theory of " don't even think of cutting my closes off", one of my medic instructors has a T-shirt that says " DO NOT TOUCH ME! ". Is he trying to tell us something? :(

We use the old adage here that a "Happy Trauma Patient is a Naked Trauma Patient"... I tell my students, if something happens to me, and I wake up and you're smiling at me, and I realize I'm naked... I can guarantee that I WILL NOT be happy!

One of my students made me a shirt one time that said "in case of emergency, please remove all of my clothing".... yeah.... and I even passed her!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.