National EMS has a new home !

Ridryder 911

EMS Finally Has a Substantive Home

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is pleased to announce the creation of the Office of Emergency Medical Services (EMS). Recognizing the consistent and long-standing contribution of the EMS program and its increasing responsibilities, NHTSA is elevating the stature of the EMS Division to match its expanding role.

The Office of EMS will report to the Associate Administrator for Program Development and Delivery, Marilena Amoni, and will continue its mission to reduce death and disability by providing leadership and coordination of comprehensive, evidence-based emergency medical services and 9-1-1 systems. This national EMS office, in close coordination with its Federal partners, will serve its constituents with a coordinated, consensus-based process to reinforce the vital role of the EMS community in shaping and realizing its own future.

With a vision of universal and quality emergency medical care leading to optimal patient outcomes, the Office of EMS will function specifically to improve all aspects of EMS systems, at the local, State, and national level. With its Federal and national partners, and through management of the statutorily created Federal Interagency Committee on EMS (FICEMS), this national EMS office will continue to provide the EMS community with a mechanism for ongoing Federal coordination of EMS programs.

If you have any questions or need more information, please do not hesitate to contact Mr. Drew Dawson, who can be reached at (202) 366-9966, or drew.dawson@nhtsa.dot.gov

//////////////

Yea ! we are not under Homeland or Fire Service !! What we can be EMS ?.. What will they think of next ?...

R/R 911

So instead of taking a backseat to fire suppression, we get to take a backseat to bridges and potholes. How exciting. :roll:

Anytime I see mission statement as grandiose as this one, I drop my pants so the smoke is blown straight up my ass instead of being filtered by the denim.

So instead of taking a backseat to fire suppression, we get to take a backseat to bridges and potholes. How exciting. :roll:

hell only 32 years behind the UK ! ( prior to 1974 Ambulance services in the UK were managed by local councils, they were often fire service or highways dept based

Why do I see more problems ahead?

Because highway safety is only one facet of our entire profession?

While I understand that the people in the former Division of EMS were hard working people, they operated in an institution concerned with much more than simply EMS. We'll see how it works out.

Actually we have been under NHTSA for several years, before the name change of DOT. At least now they have a special division for EMS. This is better than "lumped" into one .. and definitely better than under Homeland security or fire services which was being considered.

Be safe,

R/R 911

Fire? Transportation? Hmmm... call me crazy, but it has always seemed pretty clear to me that emergency MEDICAL services is a HEALTH matter. But that's just me. Obviously, a lot of people lack that clarity of vision. :?

Maybe this means that we can carry ourselves like other DOT workers.

You all know the image: One guy doing all the heavy work, four or five others standing around holding shovels, drinking coffee, basically not doing anything to help.

Wait, wait, that just described the last scene I was on. OOOOOOHHH, a perfect fit, methinks. :shock:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.