A Question about Hypoglyemia

itku2er

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Itku2er: You said 1ml of glycogen IM

I assume that you had meant 1 mg Glucagon IM correct????

One of the more commone trade names for glucagon is Glucagen. Neat little way of mashing the two together and confusing the [bleep] out of the uninitiated.

From the sound of things, the patient didn't have much GLYCOGEN stored in the first place. Or maybe had some competing medications blunting it's response. Anyhow, I wouldn't expect much of a response to glucagon in this patient, given the initial vitals. Peripheral perfusion is probably terrible, so the response will take an extremely long time.

Carry on.

One of the more commone trade names for glucagon is Glucagen. Neat little way of mashing the two together and confusing the [bleep] out of the uninitiated.

From the sound of things, the patient didn't have much GLYCOGEN stored in the first place. Or maybe had some competing medications blunting it's response. Anyhow, I wouldn't expect much of a response to glucagon in this patient, given the initial vitals. Peripheral perfusion is probably terrible, so the response will take an extremely long time.

Carry on.

For those whom may be confused about the above statements....Look up Gluconeogensis, glycolosis, and also the pathophys of anerobic metabolisim....

Hope this helps,

ACE844

I dont know Dust, from where I am looking it is a BLS call for me........ :D

If I was the incoming EMS I would not question the Tx that you have initiated in the LTCF. Unless you were trying to give oral glucose to a Pt with decreased LOC (we ahd a call like that not too long ago).

The only question I have is why would the Glucagon be given before the D50? Our protocol calls for Glucagon to be admin after 2 failed IV attempts.

I dont know Dust, from where I am looking it is a BLS call for me........ :lol:

If I was the incoming EMS I would not question the Tx that you have initiated in the LTCF. Unless you were trying to give oral glucose to a Pt with decreased LOC (we ahd a call like that not too long ago).

The only question I have is why would the Glucagon be given before the D50? Our protocol calls for Glucagon to be admin after 2 failed IV attempts.

I agree canuck, our protocols use Glucagon as a last ditch effort to oral glucose or D50. Takes too long for it to work IM. That's the only thing I don't understand. I think that it is great that someone in a long term care facility would take the initiative to go and agressively treat a patient under their care. Up in boondocksville NH it's hard to even get these places to recognize cardiac arrest!

I agree canuck, our protocols use Glucagon as a last ditch effort to oral glucose or D50. Takes too long for it to work IM. That's the only thing I don't understand. I think that it is great that someone in a long term care facility would take the initiative to go and agressively treat a patient under their care. Up in boondocksville NH it's hard to even get these places to recognize cardiac arrest!

Cos ......To answer the Glucagon question our standing order at the NH for low BS is give it first if unresponsive ....I aggressive treat my residents because unlike some of you guys that think that Nursing home nurses are stupid and lazy I am not...I was not trained as nurse or a EMT I to not do what is needed to save a life ...I do what needs to be done when it needs to be done. I work at a boondocksville NH and honey you can bet your sweet ass that i know what cardiac arrest looks like and how to initate treatment on it.

Just wondering as there is another difference in protocols that is different in another area. I just found it interesting that Glucagon would be given before an IV attempt and D50 which produce a faster response for low BS. I was not saying it was wrong or questioning your treating the Pt, just the order in which the protocol is written.

Different Doc, different protocol.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.