Non-EMS courses good for EMS

Jeep_911

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to some non-EMS courses (english. or others..maybe) that would be good to take before I apply for my paramedic. I'm wanting to add courses to my resume because its pretty competitive out here trying to get into medic programs.

While I try to get more experience I may as well take some courses.

Thank you

Jeep

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to some non-EMS courses (english. or others..maybe) that would be good to take before I apply for my paramedic. I'm wanting to add courses to my resume because its pretty competitive out here trying to get into medic programs.

While I try to get more experience I may as well take some courses.

Thank you

Jeep

Take what you need to get your degree. Most 'P' programs these days are degreed (most states require it).

That said.... Eng Comp I/II, Math (algbra or medical math), Psych, Speech, A&P I/II, Biology, Chemistry, phy. ed. etc. I think the more 'support' classes you can get out of the way, the better chance you will have in (and getting into) medic school. You will be able to devote most or all of your time to the medic program vs having to study for 3 or 4 difference classes at the same time.

I have three sons who went to Paramedic school, they all took basic courses in French and Spanish; speech making; World Cultures; English Lit and a slew of fire service technology classes. This prepared them for working in their career, and working with a variety of patients. It also prepared me for a life time of always being in debt., living comfortable, but always owing an arm or leg to some college.

On top what has been said, (general education) any classes that will add to your profession, such as medical terminology, Latin, etc. Dependent on some of your interest, that you might consider, such as some basic management course or leadership courses that might add to your resume for later purposes including computer skills.

Good luck in your career...

Be safe,

R/R 911

ANY course that emphasizes spelling and grammar.

Spanish

Healthcare organizational behaviour

Math

Any class that teaches or focuses on critical thinking

Negotiation classes

and my favorite "How to deal with difficult people" type classes.

This business is all about two things: people and critical thinking. Therefore, beyond the basic sciences, those are the two areas which should comprise the bulk of your curriculum.

Psychology, Developmental and Child Psychology, Abnormal Psychology

Sociology, Anthropology

Philosophy, Ethics, Logic

Algebra, Statistics

English Composition, Technical Writing

Speech and Business Communications

Test out of a few years of French if you want some cheap college credits, haha.

But definitely make the basic sciences your priority. Anatomy & Physiology, Microbiology, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics at the least.

SPELL CHECKED: Two errors corrected. :?

Biology, microbiology, A&P I, A&P II, chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, psychology, child psychology, sociology, college algebra, trigonometry, precalculus, calculus, medical terminology, geography, and english.