Non-EMS courses good for EMS

Jeep_911

Should organic chem be required for paramedics? I'm all for more anatomy/physiology, biology, basic chemistry, etc.; also, if you require rigorous science courses for paramedic, woudn't that make bridging programs to nursing easier, since you have the science background you need and therefore just need the more specific nursing type courses? Also, do you think organic chemistry can be adequately taught in 20 weeks (my college is on the quarter system, three 10-week quarters but organic is still divided into two sections) or should it be stretched out over a lengthier time period?

Should I take physics even though I hate it and it's not required for a biology degree? Should I take the second unit of organic chemistry before considering nursing even though it's not a prereq for nursing?

Eydawn

NREMT-B

Should I take physics even though I hate it and it's not required for a biology degree? Should I take the second unit of organic chemistry before considering nursing even though it's not a prereq for nursing?

It's not required for a biology degree? :shock: It was for mine. Except for very focused bio degrees, two semesters of organic is a requirement. It is a med school requirement.

Should it be required for paramedics? Nah, not for entry level. But should you take it? That's up to you, but it will certainly enhance your understanding of human physiology, and that is the whole point, isn't it? Same with physics. Unless you're going to med school, it's not required. But it is a great class for increasing your understanding of the forces that affect the human body and greatly heightens your critical thinking ability.

As for it "putting too much on students," that's nonsense. I want my medics to be as smart as my physician, if not more-so. That means they have the ability to pass basic college physics. Come on, this is junior college we are talking here, not MIT.

SPELL CHECKED: One error corrected. :?

organic chemistry and physics I don't think are needed for ems education. That's putting too much onto students.

The same is said for geography, English, art history, economics, government, and history. However it is called being WELL ROUNDED. Like Dustdevil said, organic chemistry is important in understand the body, physics is important in understanding how/why things happen and the forces behind them. Some of the basic formulas of physics are used in accident investigation.

I think an individual should take English Composition, Technical Writing, Algebra, Statistics, Medical Terminology, Psychology, Sociology, Geography, Anatomy&Physiology, Microbiology, Chemistry and a foreign language such as Spanish or French (depending on where you will work). I had all before I went to medic school except French.