Morphine Often Underdosed in Emergency Medicine

Ridryder 911

who cares? we are not going to fix the junkie and we are not going to make them one.

give them the happy juice. In terms of just using narcs as a diservice to our patients? that is stupid. getting them to the hospital is fixing the pain, not usually anything we can do about it. besdies what do they do at the ER anyway, give pain control until they can find out or fix the cause.

Pre hospital patients are under medicated? What a shock.

The 1 - 10 scale is crap. Go online and look up some objective signs of pain. Hypertension, tachycardia, shivvering, bitting teeth. I know I am going to get the response that it could be a junkie just wanting his fix, well then give it to him so he doesnt puke on you and then snow him with so much MS that you get him into DETOX before he wakes up.

All the opiates are safe because they are naturally occuring in our body and it is the only type of drug with no ceiling affect.

Lets start treating the pain here people, because how often are we really going to save a life? I can count them on one hand, how many times can we decrease pain instantally instaead of 3 hours later after non emergency amb. ride, an ER eval by a nurse, an MD, the order for the drug, the IV line, then the drug....come on, lets do our jobs. I bet most of you can end suffering almost every day...until you have been in horrific pain that no one can see a reason why, dont talk.

I have been there and I hate when EMS does not control pain.

My motto is MS for everyone

• 4 years later...

I'm stingy with the pain medicine. Problem is we have too many young doctors throwing MS at everyone. Now people expect it. If someone is hurting bad I'm gonna make them MOREfine (cheesy), but every claim of pain doesn't warrant me treating it. Flame if you want but I'm really sick of lots of these BS calls for "pain" and they walk to the ambulance and talk in a nice controlled voice "I'm hurting 10/10". All to often in the ghetto and I'm not about to be the pusher man for bullshit.

• Like 2

minus for making me think that Rid was back..

minus for reviving a 4 year old post

triple minus for the lack of quality of the post

lol. You know I'm reviving these posts...they show up on the bottom of the page while reading other threads...sorry.

I'm on a mission to get -100, thanks for your help!

• Like 1

I am probaby the biggest candy man in my city but if I gave pain medication to everyone who said "I want something for X pain" I'd have to be piss tested for suspected abuse. Nothing is more frustrating as calling command for orders or out of courtasy and they give the standard two or four of morphine. EXCUSE me this patient weighs 150 kg!

lol. You know I'm reviving these posts...they show up on the bottom of the page while reading other threads...sorry.

I'm on a mission to get -100, thanks for your help!

no problem... glad to help

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.