Effect of EMS on your life?

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is where this belongs but I wasn't sure where would be more appropriate.

I'm posting for my wife, Barbara, actually. I have pretty much decided to go to Paramedic school next year. (I am currently an EMTB with no experience on the street. Yep...I know....fire away!)

I am convinced that this is the right career choice for me, but she has doubts (supremely supportive, but very nervous). And I don't blame her. We don't have any EMS friends or family so have very little exposure to your world outside of my EMT class.

I wondered if you could tell us a little about Paramedic life?

What is your day/week/family time like?

What kind of schedules are to be expected as a "green" medic?

What is the availability of jobs?

Can you make a living?

Are you Happy? Satisfied?

I guess I wonder if you were talking to your brother or sheesh.....father...how would you advise them about this career change?

I'm not asking you to convince her. I'm not looking for moonbeams and harp music. It's possible I AM making a poor choice....I just believe I am a good fit for a profession that can use someone confident, competent and caring. (does that sound too naive?)

Thanks for your kindness, support and,as always, honest advice.

Dwayne

If your only frame of reference is an EMT class, take that and multiply it by ~10. Then you will have an idea of what you are jumping into.

A Paramedic is infinitely more hirable than an EMT, but the jobs are fewer. You will be paid more, but not enough to be wealthy. Take a look at your local area, to figure the jobs that are available before you decide to make the jump to paramedic. If your wife is supportive now, she would not be the first to change her mind mid way through a class. Talk to some of the previous student's/spouses of a program that you are planning on attending to get a feel for what you can expect. Just take their advice with a grain of salt, because everyone responds to the stress differently.

Good luck to you, in the meantime.

What is your day/week/family time like? Being brutally honest here...not much time at home. One typical week may go like this...I have a couple jobs and teach (because it's necessary salary wise... :roll: So...again...typical week for ME... Work Monday (not at home) Off Tues during day, work Tues night until wed morn, leave for wed day job...(not at home), off Thurs day, work thurs night until fri morn, leave for Fri day job (not home) work Sat/Sun night possibly, throw in teaching where available... Rarely eat dinner at home, have some time on 2 off days, depending on what days they fall on. Still manage to handle everything...you adapt...you learn to make it work...that's about all I can say. :roll:

What kind of schedules are to be expected as a "green" medic? ?? Depends on where you work.

What is the availability of jobs? Again, depends on where you work. Check the market in your area before you jump in.

Can you make a living? Depends on your needs. I get by just fine, but as I said, I work several jobs. Not just one.

Are you Happy? Satisfied? I can't ever imagine doing anything else in my life....ever. Be prepared to make sacrifices...talk it over. It wasn't good for my marriage... :? but that is not the case for everyone. Don't get discouraged. Just talk it over with your wife. It's important for her to understand what you are getting into. Will she be supportive of you, will she be supportive of your bad days?... Also, if you are able to stick to one job, it's not bad. It's when you work several that things get rough and require more sacrifice/understanding. Job market and salary are very important. Just be cautious...

I wish you luck. :wink: As I said, I love my job. It's truly made me a better and happier person, despite what I've had to sacrifice. It's not for everyone...really, only you can decide.

Thanks medik8 & AZCEP,

You know what's kind of funny? I feel about 10 years old asking these kinds of questions...but I've been self employed almost all of my life, looking at EMS is like looking at another country.

You guys (and gals) are so great. Even though it has never happened when I post a goofy question like this I always cringe, waiting for the first dozen replies to be "Certainly you didn't expect us to spend time answering such an idiotic question!?"

But it never happens, someone is always kind enough to take the time to post an honest, helpful response.

Thanks again!!

Have a great day!

Dwayne

You guys (and gals) are so great. Even though it has never happened when I post a goofy question like this I always cringe, waiting for the first dozen replies to be "Certainly you didn't expect us to spend time answering such an idiotic question!?"

Contrary to popular belief, there are such things as stupid questions! :(

But I can assure you that yours is not. In fact, it's good to see somebody exploring the entire big picture before taking the leap than just rushing in because sirens are cool. It's a sign of maturity, which is crucial for success in this field particularly. I'd like to see more people asking such questions about the life changing choice they are contemplating.

Good questions; Actually, my Paramedic course had a requires section entitled " Introduction into Advanced EMS". This course taught what the advantages as well as disadvantages of being in EMS would be. Spouse and family studies was an integral part of it.

If and when you decide to got to Paramedic school, it is really helpful to have the support of you spouse. Emotional support, will make things a lot easier. This saying, make good decisions on study habits and time management. Many students get engrossed in EMS, not the study of Paramedic ... and yes, there is a difference. Be sure, to give the family and yourself time together.

There is a saying, I always tell my students.. after seeing so many choose EMS over family and even their own personal life. "You may love EMS; but EMS will never love you!"... this being; you may devote your life to this profession, but you will never receive the return. So place your time and effort into it, to become the best, but recognize the true ones that will love you back.

Can you make a decent pay... it is like any other job. Dependent on location and cost of living .. yes. The number of hours is in perspective. I prefer to work 24 hour shifts so I have more days off.... in comparison to 12 hours shifts, so when I come home I actually have time to spend with family. But, again it is all dependent on your lifestyle and choice.

No, you will never be rich.. but, I do know those that make comfortable living and have actually done well and provided well for their family.

Again, as an EMS Educator, I cannot over emphasize good study habits, time management.. and time away to stay human and have a health emotional stability.

I wish you luck, in your choice.

R/R 911

Taking the class DOES eat up a lot of your time... if you work while you're taking the class, you should be prepared to keep up a schedule similiar to that when you're done (depending on where you live) to live comfortably.

I know that during my class (of 24) we had 3 divorces, and many long time couples split up... it's not easy on the family life, however it can be one... because many of my class stayed married, or together with their loved ones. Others found love (sometimes with other married students)... I can understand your wifes concern about that part.. but things like that only happen if you allow them to happen.

I say if you are feeling led to the program that you should go for it! Just make sure that you make as much time as possible for "homelife"... it's important to stay grounded while you're in the course.

Just don't let it consume you. Too many people dive in head first and they stay there for a looong time before realizing they need to step back and take a breather.

EMS IS NOT WHO WE ARE...IT IS WHAT WE DO...Thats it, period. Don't ever forget that if you wish to maintain a balance between home and work

Thanks medik8 & AZCEP,

You know what's kind of funny? I feel about 10 years old asking these kinds of questions...but I've been self employed almost all of my life, looking at EMS is like looking at another country.

But it never happens, someone is always kind enough to take the time to post an honest, helpful response.

Thanks again!!

Have a great day!

Dwayne

:wink: Not a dumb question at all, Dwayne. In fact, very incredibly smart, as Dust said, to explore what you are getting into before you spend all the time and money on school, and make life changing decisions. Any way we can help you....we will. I wish you the best of luck and happiness. 8)

The fact that you have friends and loved ones mostly outside of EMS is to your advantage. It helps to keep this kind of perspective. It also helps that your wife will have other friends to hang out with when you're working. Expect that when you hang out with your EMS friends that your wife will be VERY bored unless there are other non-EMS folks to talk to there.

As a rookie medic, you can expect the shifts that a lot of folks don't want: overnights, really bloody early am, weekends, holidays. The advantage of this is that you can be home when most others are not. The disadvantage is that if your wife works normal-person-hours, you may not see a lot of each other.

Job availability varies by area. Many busy systems are very competitive and may not want to take you right out of medic school. Others will ONLY take rookies, hoping to train them up in the ways of that particular service. Getting a job running non-emergent transports for $9.25 an hour is very easy, and those services are always hiring no matter where you live. Not as exciting and glamorous as 911 work, but it's a steady job with a fair amount of job security.

The job is what you make of it. Very few people retire from it, having moved on to other career fields or stepped up to RT, RN, or MD/DO. Being 60 years old banging around to calls in the middle of the night is just not that appealing. The career ladder is limited, being that your choices of moving up usually entails becoming management or going into related work like teaching (ACLS, PALS, Paramedic) or consulting.

Ditto on what ak just said. Just remember, like in the ER, you can never beat the rack. What I'm saying is, there's always another call to be run if you hang around the station long enough, and there's always someone else that's sick (there's always another chart in the rack). Avoid the temptation to hold out for "the big one" or spend extra hours on shift waiting for it. Do your thing, clock out, go home.

It's a job like any other and a job like no other. You get to see some very neat things, make people feel better, and perform a valuable service to your community. It's an adrenaline rush at times, which is why many people get into it. When that rush wears off, it's easy to become disillusioned, or to spend your time and effort looking for the rush again. At the same time you will see many things which will bother you, which will defy explanation, and Barbara may not really understand that part. As ak said, don't live the job, and this will help stay in perspective.

'zilla

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.