The role of epinephrine in prehospital tx of anaphylaxis

HF-EMS

Hi guys,

I was recently talking to my med control physician when he mentioned a study he had just read saying that in the prehospital care and tx of anaphylaxis, the initial dose of .5 epinephrine could be given IM as opposed to SQ. What have you guys seen/heard, or have any of you tried it?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, the initial dose, atleast in my region is .5mg, SQ usually followed by IM Benadryl and IV solu-medrol(with a physicians orders for the steroid)

Anaphylaxis, yes. IM because if they are already in anaphylaxis, the sub Q circulation is already compromised to the point that absorption will be seriuosly delayed, if not almost prevented. Consequently, IM or IV is the way to go.

I have seen anaphylaxis patients given a couple subQ epi's with no improvement. Then when they got IM or IV epi, their circulation came back to normal, dumping a milligram or more of epi rapidly into their now normotensive system. Not good. Especially in an older patient. For that reason, SQ is strongly discouraged in anaphylaxis.

Sub Q epi will only work if it is given early in the process. When the patient starts to tell you that their tongue feels funny, give the epi. If you wait any, the sub Q dose will be a waste of time. Anyone over ~40 or with cardiac history, we need to contact medical control, but if things look bad, a little epi before they code, or a lot after they do. :lol:

Personally, I think I have only given epi 3 or 4 times in the field. I have found there is very rarely times, I have ever seen it needed. Most of the time I have seen an adverse effects, or mild allergic reactions. Using H2 blockers and steroid, is routinely successful.

Yes, epi is exceptional in true anaphylaxis, if this is the case, I prefer IV route. Since, one should already have an access, with fluids as well.

Be safe,

R/R 911