Refusals. You're Opinion

UMSTUDENT

Should EMS professtionals be allowed to refuse care?  

34 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Only with medical consultation
    • Refusals?

I recently read the article posted by Dust in the General News section about two Texas paramedics who refused to transport a patient to the hospital. I was wondering what the opinion of the people here was about patient refusals. Do you see something wrong with the ability to accept a refusal? Should paramedics be allowed to refuse transport to the hospital if they deem the complaint as non-emergent? If so, under what conditions? Should paramedics be given more skills in order to treat and release more patients?

I was just wondering because it seems that everyone has a different opinion regarding refusals. Some people love them and some people hate them

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have refused to transport only one person in the past 15 years and that patient beat both myself and my partner up. She went ballistic when I told her that her brother could not ride to the ER with her. She scratched my face, kicked my ribs(bruise the size of montana), and nearly kicked my knee cap off. My partner fared worse, broken nose, bloody lip and black eye. We had a BLS ambulance there and they ended up taking her because I now had 2 patients I had to take care of.

Needless to say she didn't go with me. She actually ended up in the long run a resident of a long term facility with a date of release in 2006.

But just to refuse a patient transport is not something I would ever do.

This has been covered extensively in the past. If a patient doesn't want to go and they meet informed consent requirements, then let them refuse and document apprpriately. But as far as a Paramedic or EMT refusing to transport, no, it should not be and currently is not allowed. I have been able to legitametely refuse to transport patients on one occasion, after hurricane Rita. I do have to admit that it was nice to look at someone in the eyes and tell them I am NOT taking them to the hospital and to follow up with their PMD for the runny nose they have had for 3 weeks! But on the other hand, there were several patients that needed to go and we just couldn't take them........................

I've talked people into signing off, and i've talked people into not signing off. Depends on the situation, but I've never flat out refused to take someone.

If you have talked someone into signing off, wouldn't you consider that the same as refusing to transport them? Coersion of a patient is not a refusal on their part.

At a EMS I once worked at used to have a policy that allowed us to not transport requiring parties if there were non-emergency warrented transports. As a Field Supv. I was routinely called to make the final determination. They were like the calls discussed. Finger lacc < 1 cm, fish finned, very minor inj. etc... of course the policy required medical control to be advised etc... it was nice. The response from the patient usually was " I couldn't afford a taxi"..

It is a shame othe EMS does not thave the same.

Be safe,

R/R 911

i wish we could refuse absolute bull sit calls. eg brken toe times twoe weeks with pain when walking, no increase in pain and did not take meds yet. but you know some dumb ass wuold take advantatge of it and then there would be legal action and then we would be right back where we started.

We would call a taxi or friend etc. since it was now not considered an emergency, it was their responsibility like any other event to go some where. You would not call the Police to take you grocery shopping... or to the Dr.'s clinic.. etc..

Be safe,

R/R 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.