Police dog struck by a car....What would you do?

vs-eh?

I can't believe the reaction to this thread. A dog is just that, A DOG!! If the police choose to call them an "Officer", that is in their own minds. IT IS STILL A DOG!!!

If it were me, I would get me a "Junkyard Dog" of a lawer, and sue the PD for leash law violation and damage to my vehicle, mental stress, ect.

I'm glad PD's don't call cows officers, I'm might be eating an undercover cop right now!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about reviving a old post..

I can't believe the reaction to this thread. A dog is just that, A DOG!! If the police choose to call them an "Officer", that is in their own minds. IT IS STILL A DOG!!!

If it were me, I would get me a "Junkyard Dog" of a lawer, and sue the PD for leash law violation and damage to my vehicle, mental stress, ect.

I'm glad PD's don't call cows officers, I'm might be eating an undercover cop right now!!

Why don't you mosey on down to the local PD or sherrifs department and make that argument to one of the K-9 officers. See what kind of response you get.

Actually, one of the local PD K9 officers happens to be a friend of mine. He loves his dog partner, but he knows it is just a dog. When we go hunting together, if his dogs don't do as they are trained to do, he would pepper them in the butt with bird shot. The PD calls the dogs Officers so if a criminal harms one, there are additional charges brought against the offender. Don't fall into the trap of anthropromorphism.

A dog by any other name is still a dog.

I've trained somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,500 dogs to do just about everything including working with police, prisons etc...dogs are a tool I believe. It seems making the dog an officer would require intent on the dogs part to be an officer...and they just don't have that.

That being said, any form of purposeful cruelty should be punished...running over a dog is cruel if intentional, but should not be equated to killing a human in my mind...Just my thoughts...

Also, the guy that 'peppers' his dog is an idiot. He needs to quite being pissed at his dog for handler stupidity....

I was wondering though, can an officer use lethal force to defend his dog's life?

Dwayne

It seems making the dog an officer would require intent on the dogs part to be an officer...and they just don't have that.

Not to speak of demonstrating a sufficient understanding of the consequences of their actions, their judiciously discretionary issuing of commands, and their ability to detect and appreciate irony. It sounds perfectly crazy to me, a fetishizing of the totems of government power. "Tool" is a good image here; a category-confusion of symbol with thing symbolized, indistinguishable in my mind from the following legend, simply substituting dog for hat.

>William Tell from Bürglen was known as an expert marksman with the crossbow. At the time, the Habsburg emperors were seeking to dominate Uri. Hermann Gessler, the newly appointed Austrian Vogt of Altdorf raised a pole in the village's central square with his hat on top and demanded that all the local townsfolk bow before it. As Tell passed by without bowing, he was arrested. He received the punishment of being forced to shoot an apple off the head of his son, Walter, or else both would be executed.< (Wikipedia)

Btw, I love dogs. And hats. Each in its own place.

I almost didnt plan on reading this post because it tears me a part BIG TIME.

I belong to WSPA and WWF, it's like, can you choose one over another . . .NO, but I'm not exactly wealthy but I to care, like some of you.

I dont eat KFC, after seeing the video for the inhumane treatment of the chickens before they are killed.

Anyways I'm also glad the K9 officer is pulling through, makes me happy. :wink:

I dont eat KFC, after seeing the video for the inhumane treatment of the chickens before they are killed.

Am I the only one who finds that funny, in an absurdly ironic sort of way? :D

Windy, did you stop eating chicken altogether, or just the inhumanely treated ones?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.