Advice to students of EMS, from another point of view

Ridryder 911

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does seem like alot of common sense stuff. Dress like your going to be in public (I think we've kinda lost the meaning of that in our generation). Dress like your going to be in class, not cleaning out horse stalls (if you can help it, some schedules may not allow for that). To me that doesn't mean dress up, but be presentable. Make people think well of you. I think it's also important to dress comfortable, so you can concentrate on your class.

Do your homework... that a new one! :lol: Our instructor has us do the work before we come in, then he talks about it and/or we do skills. If you don't do your homework, you don't really have a clue what's going on when you get to class.

I go online alot and surf for info on everything. What you find is not always correct, but if you know more, you can ask more intelligent questions.

Absolutley show respect!

My instructor is a stickler for doing things the best you can. I think that's great! He wants you to actually put your junk away when your done with it. He talks about taking care of the little things. Taking care of your equipment. I'd rather practice and test with him than anyone else I've met, b/c he's not lazy, and will make sure your doing things right. Anyway....

Cell phones....GRRR..... Mine is a necessity to my life...but my students know that theirs better not interfere with class. We're here to learn. If you want to talk to your girlfriend....do it on your own time. Either that, or invite her to come participate as a patient while I watch you do the assessments that you so desperately need to learn.

LMAO...

I can't believe how frustrated I am at one of my class mates.

This person falls asleep in class, never tucks in their shirt (we have a uniform we're to wear), doesn't always follow uniform code, cheats off the person next to her who recently requested to move...

And they want to be a nurse :shock:

They can't do clinicals right now because their grade is too low.

How f-ing hard is it to wear the uniform and act like a respectful human being?!?!

For the record, I leave my phone in the car when I go to class.

Yeah, In my class....

Uniforms and dress inspections.

Classroom locked 2 mins before class began.

Cell phone ringing in class = instructor drop from class. (leave them in your car)

There was no talking in class, no distractions...great place to learn for the kids....a little overkill if you've been a professional for a while.

Pretty hardcore but 30/30 people passed skills and NR first time through.

All in all, seems to beat the alternatives.....

Dwayne

Do your homework... that a new one! :) Our instructor has us do the work before we come in, then he talks about it and/or we do skills. If you don't do your homework, you don't really have a clue what's going on when you get to class.

Professional educators found the answer to that dilemma decades ago. Pre-tests. Just like the ones given in BCLS, ACLS and PHTLS. My students won't only have written homework assignments to turn in. My students will take a written exam in class over that homework. And that homework and exam will come before the topic is even covered in lecture. Then, class time won't be wasted rehashing basic concepts that they should have learned from their textbook. And failing a pre-test is just as detrimental to your grade as failing a final exam. You won't skip your reading assignment more than once and stay in my class.

The problem is, too many schools are just too afraid to kick people out. Once the lazy whiners start mouthing off about how unfair your program is, enrolment drops and agencies steer their people elsewhere. Let's face it, educational standards and quality is NOT at the top of the list of reasons that most people choose a school.

The problem is, too many schools are just too afraid to kick people out. Once the lazy whiners start mouthing off about how unfair your program is, enrolment drops and agencies steer their people elsewhere. Let's face it, educational standards and quality is NOT at the top of the list of reasons that most people choose a school.

Just my 2cents here;

The warm soft and fuzzy school is becoming an alarming trend it produces a generic worker not a critical thinker.

Could it be that those "students" that fork out the big the bucks believe that an education should be handed to them on a silver plater. Hopefully not a statement in regards to society in general I HOPE NOT!

Fact is that the Onus and responsibility of an education falls directly on Student.... and not the institute nor the educators.

Ranking with competing institutions,........not the pass/fail ratio would be my first choice in selection of an institute.

Or could be I am just getting Old? :?