Advice to students of EMS, from another point of view

Ridryder 911

Why must we waste time doing homework that isn't really needed.

Needed for what? To pass the next test? Tests are to assure that you have grasped the minimal level of understanding necessary to move on. And of course, some people can do that much just through testing skills. So is that all you aspire to? The minimal level of knowledge necessary to make a 70 on your test?

I'm sorry, but your question sounds very much like those who ask why they have to go to paramedic school just to start IV's, intubate, and give drugs. Like you're interested only in the maximum amount of skills in return for the minimum investment of time and effort.

Here's how to gauge yourself: If you make 100 percent on every exam you take and never miss a question in class, then you are studying almost enough. If you do not approach that level of perfection, then you need to at least double your studying time because MY life may depend on it one day!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dust, I appreciate keeping it civil. I'll admit that no, I don't score 100% on everything, all the time. My current grade in class is a 98% though. So no, I don't know everything, and I know I never will. However, as I said different people learn in different ways. Personally writing a bunch of stuff down doesn't help me very much. When I read things they pretty much stick with me. The things I don't understand are the things that I bring up with my instructor in class. There are just some things that take me a little bit more to understand.

And as far as "school just to start IV's, intubate, and give drugs." I am not taking this as an attack on me. I understand my opinion of homework sounds lazy. However, if that was the case I really wouldn't have much need to go to medic school. I can do most of the "skills" a medic can. I'm going b/c I want more knowledge. The more I know, the better I can treat my pts. I honestly don't like the fact that I/99 exists. For some it's like a wanna be medic. You can do most of the skills but only have a fraction of the knowledge. IMO that's just trouble waiting to happen. Same thing as "why can't basics intubate." (By the way, in NE they can). If somebody is just following protocols and not thinking for themselves there will eventually be a problem.

I think this is another case wehre every teacher needs to callibrate on the type of students coming in and perhaps the type of training instition.

Are you going to have a lot of young kids with little academic experience who need to be heavily guided to help them succeed?

Are you running an advanced class where students are used to getting a lot of assignments and know how to balance stuff out?

Is this supposed to be a really difficult, perhaps elite, class that will be going above and beyond?

A good teacher will try to balance things out by giving a lot of verbal information in class, having it all backed up in the reading, and also backed up by a lot of hands on activities (presentations, discussions, scenarios). I personally learned almost exclusivly by paying rapt attention in class and that was enough to ace my tests. Others needed to have the book in front of them and see everything relation to everything else. Others needed to write it out for themselves. If your class is good enough, they'll figure out their style themselves. If not, you need to help them.

That's just my take on it as a student.

Okay, Neb. I have a better idea of what you are saying now. You're not against studying, per se. It's just that you don't feel that the particular types of assignments you are receiving are optimally beneficial for you, right? I can understand that, and I empathize. I too tend to be a different style of learner than the majority seem to be. Obviously, you are going to have to tailor your own habits to work for you. But, unfortunately, others don't have the same dedication that you might, and they have to be given assignments in order for them to be counted on to learn. Even worse, a great many EMS instructors don't know dick about teaching. Therefore, they don't even know about all the options available to them, much less how to tailor them to serve the students better. Consequently, we end up with a real blind-leading-the-blind situation in EMS education.

Sure, we could just leave students to sink or swim. Study if you want, then let the grades weed out those who don't. It would serve them right. But we have to think in terms of the big picture here and visualize the problems that would result from not trying to help our students with their study habits. First and foremost, pass rates would drop drastically. Secondary to that, your school gets a horrible reputation and a drop in applicants. Then your school has to drop its standards just to make money. And, of course, a local shortage of medics results too, which only puts more pressure on your school to crank them out.

But anyhow, you raise a good point. If we are asking paramedics and paramedic students to be the best that they can be, shouldn't we ask the same of EMS instructors? Shouldn't we ask more of them than simply a certification and a week long instructor's course? Most of them don't even have an associates degree, much less any serious training in the educational process. As I have said frequently, education is the key to the progression of the profession. Unfortunately, education is arguably the component of our profession that is in the worst condition.

I'm with you on that, Dust. My head instructors both had MPA's and one was also an RN in addition to having many years of tried and true fireld experience in paramedicine. I was watching this show on special forces in World War II, and the program the Americans developed borrowed an important aspect in training from the British Commando program: The special forces instructors were not allowed to make any demands on the recruits that the could not demonstrate they could do themselves. Any obstacle, training regimen, course or skill they wanted their students to do they had to prove they could do themselves indvidually first. I think that is an excellent idea for training.

I am an EMT-B student just finishing my EMT class. My emt-b class had 26 people to start with and we ended with 16 people. What really made me mad is that one lady stopped going to class because "the job was not going to get her enough money." Many of my classmates decided that it was ok to slack off and not read the book. Well they were some of the ones that left. This class is hard i admit but its even harder if you dont study. Ok im off of my soapbox now. Sry if i offended anyone.

EMT.... it's not a job. It's a mental disorder. LOL! :lol: [/font:109fafff22]

...one lady stopped going to class because "the job was not going to get her enough money."

Haha! If she wasn't smart enough to figure that out before shelling out the $$ for class, then good riddance! We have enough idiots in EMS already. :lol:

Many of my classmates decided that it was ok to slack off and not read the book. Well they were some of the ones that left.

If there are any of those who have not yet left, they will have a rude awakening when they sit for the NR exam. That's okay though. I would rather see them complete the whole class and then end up completely humiliated after flunking the exam three times than to drop out early and avoid that humiliation.

EMT.... it's not a job. It's a mental disorder.

Nice! :thumbleft:

I show my respect for my teachers by following their rules. If it's specifically a no-hat rule and I respected them, I would never wear a hat. I show respect by following their wishes, speaking well of them, putting extra effort into their class, and being honest.

Then again, this is the Bay Area. We have enough problems getting idiots to use turn signals and turn off cell phones inside movie theatres *and* classrooms.

Respect is something that I was brought up with, but it certainly does seem to be missing for many others.