PEPP vs PALS??

Rezq304

This has been discussed before, but to revisit the opinions is always entertaining.

PEPP and PALS were both developed by the American Academy of Pediatrics. PEPP was set up to better discuss the subjects that prehospital providers run into more often. Things like spinal immobilization, dealing with a possible SIDS case, tips for rapid cardiopulmonary assessment, and the limited treatment options.

PALS includes these topics in an optional addition to the course. It is up to the course coordinator/director to decide if the subject matter will be covered or not. PALS also goes into greater depth of treatment options that are available in the hospital setting.

When you take the course, regardless of which one, the information should be fairly consistent across the board. The biggest difference that I have seen is the style of presentation by the different instructors. PEPP instructors tend to be paramedics, PALS instructors tend to be nurses or doctors, on occasion. This slight difference often slants the presentation towards one audience or another.

In summary, PEPP is PALS in the street.

APLS tends to be directed toward doctors, almost at the exclusion of anyone else. It is also pretty difficult to locate a course. Very few places are able to put the program on, and with the standards changing, the course dates keep getting postponed. Or maybe this is just happening to the courses I have tried to attend.

As a former PALS Instructor, I can honestly say that I don't like either course... I am in favor of having a Comprehensive Life Support Program that includes both Adult ALS & Pediatric ALS.

• 1 month later...

I hold cards in both. PEPP is definitely geared more towards pre-hospital (hence the name). I had to be PALS in order to work in the ER. I took my PEPP at Cincinnati Childrens Hospital. We were able to use the pediatic human simulator (Cincinnati Children's Pediatric Human Patient Simulator). That has to be one of the most awesome things I've ever been able to do. If there is a facility near y'all that has it, please make the trip to do it. It is amazing (IMHO).

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.