Psych Patients, Take by Amb. or Police?

Para-Medic

We usually transport psych pts alone as our local PD "doesn't have the manpower" to ever help. I don't feel that the 16 yo who broke up with her boyfriend can be easily dismissed either. I had a 16yo who was running away because of her boyfriend. I insisted on PD searching her before transport even though they didn't feel it was necessary.

FOUND.....2 syringes, lighter, spoon,straight razor and knife......hmmmmm parents had NO idea!!

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said Dust. A pt tells me "I want to die or kill myself" and he WINS himself an ambo ride. If on the other hand he starts being a jerk and wants to fight with me or just doesnt want to come then thats it, I call for police/RCMP back up. Its not 125lbs of me or my high 5'5 stature thats going to fight him. Not part of my job description, not worth my health and well...I would lose.

End of story.

This is a hell of a subject. My squad just had a call this past week. Originally called, "Possible Drug Overdose". Went there to find ALS and 2 cops inside. Restraining her and all, ALS had found nothing bad (vital wise), and it turned out she had been drinking all day. Cop's kept restraining her, which was hard because of a broken arm, which happened while trying to commit suicide a week prior. Eventually, we got her on to a Reeves, which was later to be found broken, and she was restrained with cravats, as well as arm and leg cuffs. On the way to the hospital, I wondered to myself, is this really EMS's call? All we're doing is restraining, didn't even take vitals, although the paramedics did. I thought to myself later that night.

I believe it is EMS's to transport such patients. We were dispatched, and ultimately we were responsible for her well being. If they had transported via cop car, and she became unstable, it would have been deemed negligence on our part. I believe an Ambulance is the way to go.

Just my 2 cents....

• 3 months later...

I transport for a private ambulance company we transport about four to five psych patients per shift (24 Hrs.)

The youngest was 4 years old, and the oldest well... old! Most BA's some Marchmen.

[align=center:a82160f367]FLORIDA LAW SAYS[/align:a82160f367]

Transportation of Persons for Involuntary Examination

394.462, FS 65E-5.260, FAC

Law enforcement has no responsibility to transport persons for voluntary admission to a mental health facility. Neither is law enforcement responsible for transporting persons from a hospital where they may have been medically examined or treated to a Baker Act receiving facility. In the latter case, the person is the responsibility of a hospital, pursuant to the Federal EMTALA law.

Regardless of whether the involuntary examination is initiated by the courts, law enforcement, or an authorized professional, law enforcement is responsible for transporting the person to the nearest receiving facility for the examination. Baker Act Receiving Facilities in the local area are listed on the attached sheet.

A law enforcement agency may decline to transport a person to a receiving facility only if:

1.The county has contracted for transportation at the sole cost to the county and the law enforcement officer and medical transport service agree that the continued presence of law enforcement personnel is not expected to be necessary for the safety of the person to be transported or others. This statute requires the law enforcement officer to report to the scene, assess the risk circumstances, and if appropriate, to “consign” the person to the care of the transport company.

When a jurisdiction has entered into a contract with a transport service for transportation of persons to receiving facilities such service shall be given preference for transportation of persons from nursing homes, assisted living facilities, adult day care centers, or adult family care homes, unless the behavior of the 1. person being transported is such that transportation by a law enforcement officer is necessary.

2. When a law enforcement officer takes custody of a person under the Baker Act, the officer may request assistance from emergency medical personnel if such assistance is needed for the safety of the officer or the person in custody.

If the law enforcement officer believes that a person has an emergency medical condition the person may be first transported to a hospital for emergency medical treatment, regardless of whether the hospital is a designated receiving facility.

An emergency medical condition is defined in Chapter 395, F.S. as a medical condition manifesting itself by acute symptoms of sufficient severity, which may include severe pain, such that absence of immediate medical attention could reasonably be expected to result in serious jeopardy to patient health, serious impairment to bodily functions, or serious dysfunction of any bodily organ or part

Once the person is delivered by law enforcement to a hospital for emergency medical examination or treatment and the person is placed in the hospital’s care, the officer’s responsibility to the person is over.

• 3 months later...

Where I'm at?

P.D.

end of discussion.

they have their own ambulances ( ALS )

then there's always the possibility of them being unavailable....(which does happen from time to time)

then we do it wit LEO in the back.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.