IS ANY ONE ELSE OUT THERE CALLED AN AMBULANCE DRIVER

ffemt819

A good retort to nurses is to call them "candy strippers".

Well this might tick some people off but...

If it's a nurse that calls you an "ambulance driver", call her a "butt-wiper".

I mean, it is part of her job, just like driving the ambulance is part of mine.

You've gotta be kidding me, NO respect from nurse's?!?! hmmmm I wonder why that would be?!?!?

You've gotta be kidding me, NO respect from nurse's?!?! hmmmm I wonder why that would be?!?!?

Could be the fire department uniform. :wink:

Could be the fire department uniform. :wink:

You meant COP uniform right???? (it's ok, happens to the best of them, I know you weren't going after the fire profession :lol: )

And no I don't think the attitudes have to do with what uniform you wear, I think you would compound the issue wearing scrubs LOL

Um, both of those "names" were listed as RESPONSES to being disrespected. I obviously do not go around calling nurses butt wipers, and I'm sure the other person doesn't go around calling them candy stripers and therefore causing ourselves the disrespect, like you implied.

I have actually never called a nurse that to their face...but then our nurses are pretty good about referring to us as paramedics or EMTs (either is fine, because no matter what, I am an EMT-P). I think the only time I've ever been referred to as an ambulance driver by a nurse was a school nurse...and I just smirk at them anyway...we know where they rank on the nursing food chain. :wink:

And no I don't think the attitudes have to do with what uniform you wear,

Actually, with some nurses, they do. I have seen it and experienced it first hand. Now I've never been down-right disrespected or anything because of what uniform I was wearing, but the reception is different. When I walk in wearing my commercial service uniform they immediately listen aptly, assuming I know what I'm talking about. When I used to walk in wearing a volunteer uniform (although I was paid) they would not give such a warm and welcoming and listening reception until I started giving a report, then they realized I knew what I was talking about.

I don't face this anymore, now that I've been around long enough that most of the triage nurses at least know me by face, if not by name, no matter which uniform I'm in.

Agreed. As both a medic (public and private) and an ER nurse, I can assure you that the uniform makes a difference in many cases.

That's sorta like saying it doesn't matter what a girl looks like as long as she has a great personality. :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.