Ambulance Driver, an evil term?

PRPGfirerescuetech

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never use the term to define any level of provider. Unless that is what they are.

PRPG, by posting the question the way you did i could see this possibly being taken out of context. might think about the wording a bit.

I never use the term to define any level of provider. Unless that is what they are.

PRPG, by posting the question the way you did i could see this possibly being taken out of context. might think about the wording a bit.

The question was posed purely to see if Im looking at this the wrong way...and the question referenced EMT basics being called ambulance drivers...

The question was posed purely to see if Im looking at this the wrong way...and the question referenced EMT basics being called ambulance drivers...

We all understand what you're asking and it's a VALID question however you also threw in a personal edge and that is what many will take issue with.

To contribute, I HATE the term... what do you folks think of the phrase "Ambulance Attendant"?

If these terms are the biggest problems facing this profession, then we are in real trouble.

For the most part, when I hear them, I use it as an oppurtunity to explain what all EMS providers are capable of in a time condensed form. I've found that most people appreciate someone explaining what resources are available to them should they need them.

I really don't see what the big deal is. Even medics are called ambulance drivers. It's not that the public is uneducated, it's just that they really don't care. As long as we show up and help them. My partner and I, both medics, did a call by call deal. We took turns driving... If you are driving and ambulance, then you are an ambulance driver...

Mother, Jugs & Speed was about Shaeffer, Gold Cross, Good Hew, and a bunch of other Los Angeles Ambulance services that would fight to take each others calls. It wasn't fiction, rather making a mockery.

Ambulance Attendants were EMT's... The EMT-AA, one of the first EMS certifications in the country. Penna. still has a scope of practice for Ambulance Attendants who have been grandfathered into modern EMS.

I really don't see what the big deal is. Even medics are called ambulance drivers. It's not that the public is uneducated, it's just that they really don't care. As long as we show up and help them. My partner and I, both medics, did a call by call deal. We took turns driving... If you are driving and ambulance, then you are an ambulance driver...

But here in Ontario at least... even that person driving the ambulance is a Paramedic, not just a driver. Anyone with the right license can be an ambulance driver, but it takes at least two challenging years of school to become a Paramedic.

The regional org., Susquehanna Regional Emergency Medical Services System, ( what a mouthful ) puts the title "Emergency Vehicle Operator" on the ID badges of squad members who drive and don't have an EMT certification ( other than AHA CPR/Defib ). Even with that our past Sargent would keep getting asked medical questions by the pt's family. We got him a "T" shirt that has "AMBULANCE DRIVER" across the front in big bold letters, reversed, of course. ;-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.