need the lowdown on this.......NREMT "thing".

EMT613

Actually there are a couple of states that issue licenses instead of certifications for EMT's and paramedics.

I'm sorry, but that is blatantly wrong. Please don't spread information like that around as fact. Every state has a state scope of practise for the various levels of EMT's and paramedics. This is the maximum that they are allowed to do. (Texas is supposedly an exception to this as well). This is very much a legal thing, and like with other types of lower to mid-level providers, may vary from state to state. But make no mistake, it does define the upper limit of what someone may do within that state.

Now individual medical directors may restrict that statewide scope of practise and tailor it to their individual service (or even inidividuals), but with the supposed exception of Texas, may not go BEYOND it. Doing that is what creates local protocols or whatever the term that you prefer is. This same type of thing can even happen on slightly larger scales- I believe that is how California works; counties or regions have defined what is allowed/not allowed in that area (but still not going beyond the statewide scope) and allow the actual medical directors to work off that. Same thing.

Do not confuse "scope of practice" with "protocols."

If you actually read the rest of the thread you would see that the difference between certification and licensure has been discussed at great lengths and I expanded on that original post, but if you just want to single me out and every post I make to show me that I'm wrong... Go for it. And I believe I can reply with whatever opinion I want, as this is a public forum, please don't tell me what I can and cannot do. I'm really not in the mood for your posts anymore.

If you actually read the rest of the thread you would see that the difference between certification and licensure has been discussed at great lengths and I expanded on that original post, but if you just want to single me out and every post I make to show me that I'm wrong... Go for it. And I believe I can reply with whatever opinion I want, as this is a public forum, please don't tell me what I can and cannot do. I'm really not in the mood for your posts anymore.

Of course you can; this is a public forum as you said. But when you post incorrect information...it may be corrected.

To be honest I was more concerned with the comment about scopes of practice; that matters just a bit more than if someone holds a license or certification in their various states.

And I don't care what you are or aren't in the mood for.

If my comment about scopes of practice was wrong, then yah you could correct it, but there are a lot of states that just certify and if you read the link Mike posted from NREMT clarifying the differences between licensure and certification, it would also say similar things about scope of practice. You aren't the definitive voice.

Yes, and correcting it is what I did. If you choose to take offence then that is not my concern. And the posted link and what is says about a scope of practise has no bearing on your comment about it.

You said, "There is no legal scope defined for EMS providers, just that of what the medical director approves under their license."

My point being that is incorrect, and each state DOES have a legal scope of practise for EMT's and Paramedics. Of course they still may not function under it without the authorization of a doctor, who may in turn restrict what they can do, but that scope of practise is still there, as it is for most providers. Like I said before.

Now, there is no NATIONAL scope of practise for EMT's or Paramedic's, that would be correct.

There is really and issue with "c" and "s" here

Shall we start correcting that?

Certainly. Feel free to correct any and all spelling, punctuation and grammar errors you find.

Or you can accuse me and other posters of being high.

Or you can actually contribute something.

Certainly. Feel free to correct any and all spelling, punctuation and grammar errors you find.

Or you can accuse me and other posters of being high.

Or you can actually contribute something.

You obviously do not know the whole story about the "high" comment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.