need the lowdown on this.......NREMT "thing".

EMT613

I just applied for my CO nursing license not that long ago. On it, I did not report my EMT-I/99 certification I had held in Maryland. This is because the question asked for a list of any previously held licenses in other states. I did not have a license, I had a certification. They are very different.

The link Mike posted is very helpful but here's a brief on the difference...

EMS has a scope of practice defined by their medical director. There is no legal scope defined for EMS providers, just that of what the medical director approves of under their license.

The nurse practice act, a legal document in every state, defines the legal scope of practice a nurse can have.

well it almost sounds like the certification allows you to get your certification, or license, depending on what the specific state calls it. Once I was active through the Iowa dept of ems, I was told I was licensed to treat, but my state card says certified. I say certified. Apparently other states choose to say licensed.

The link Mike, made it as clear as mud :). I knew that my nremt did not allow me to do anything until I was certified through Iowa, but luckily, that took only hours through the magic of computer.

OK, spouse on a day long motorcycle trip and I'm bored. Anyway, some states do issue San EMT license. MI. GA, FL and a few others just on a quick search.

Others are certifications, but then say license number etc etc. I think its just semantics and not really that important to this thread, but I did find it interesting.

It is not semantics. You can be licensed off a certification but not necessarily the other way around. There are legal issues that come into play, too. One can be certified but not licensed.

Some states base their licensure off of a certification. Other states don't require licensure; they simply require certification. One does not automatically imply the other.

This is one of the larger issues within EMS nationwide (behind, among other things, education).

Depends on the state. New Mexico for example has a state scope of practice. The right to practice as a EMS provider in New Mexico is called a license. While medical directors can limit the scope, providers cannot exceed the scope set by the state unless a service goes through a special skills application. The way in which license and certification is interpreted will vary significantly and may even be a function of situational context.

It is not semantics. You can be licensed off a certification but not necessarily the other way around. There are legal issues that come into play, too. One can be certified but not licensed.

Some states base their licensure off of a certification. Other states don't require licensure; they simply require certification. One does not automatically imply the other.

This is one of the larger issues within EMS nationwide (behind, among other things, education).

we got that part.

But I was addressing scuba when she was telling him EMTs are not licensed

Depends on the state. New Mexico for example has a state scope of practice. The right to practice as a EMS provider in New Mexico is called a license. While medical directors can limit the scope, providers cannot exceed the scope set by the state unless a service goes through a special skills application. The way in which license and certification is interpreted will vary significantly and may even be a function of situational context.

right. In Iowa, the scope of practice does not include BGL, EPI or King airways without further training and your Medical directors approval. I had to go through extra training for , 3 lead, 12 lead, driving, BGL, AND EPI to be Able to do any of that .

Kate: Some states license EMS providers and others have a certification to provide care . In Maine , I hold a license to practice at my level. Other states I've worked in certified that you met the minimum requirements to practice under a medical director.

Semantics :Yes, But there is a difference

National registry certification means you have passed a standardized test that shows minimum competence & knowledge for a given EMS level of training.

Most states have gone to the nat reg test as the cost to continuously update their own individual testing materials requires too much time & $$$$.

Kate: Some states license EMS providers and others have a certification to provide care . In Maine , I hold a license to practice at my level. Other states I've worked in certified that you met the minimum requirements to practice under a medical director.

Semantics :Yes, But there is a difference

National registry certification means you have passed a standardized test that shows minimum competence & knowledge for a given EMS level of training.

Most states have gone to the nat reg test as the cost to continuously update their own individual testing materials requires too much time & $$$$.

I agree there is a difference and admitted that. I also even looked it up.

I do know you can't practice with NREMT certification alone. We knew that from day one of class.

Until today, I didn't know certain states called it different things though.

I guess it does depend on what Chris said... if the state has a scope of practice set or not...

probably.

"46 states use the National Registry tests as their standard. To say it is a waste of time is a bit foolish."

Its not foolish at all. If you read my post carefully you will see it is true.

to be an EMT everybody have to take an original course and a test that the state will recognize. Right? that's everybody.

So the guy takes his course, and his state test, passes, gets his state license... and then is presented with the chance to take a NREMT test and be certified by NREMT.

now, a NREMT certificate does not allow you to work as an EMT. the STATE license allows you to work and an EMT.

So what good is a NREMT certificate ? well, none.

So say our good man decides to move to or work in a different state. His home state EMT license only allows him to work at the home state. So he must apply for RECIPROCITY to the new state he is going to be working in.

each state is unique. Some ways to get licensed by reciprocity:

They take his home state license and give reciprocity based on it,

They will not take his home state license and demand that he do a refresher from the new state and that the new state's test.

They will not take his home state license BUT will accept a NREMT certificate in lieu of taking the refresher and the new state's test.

So as you can see, If he never plans to move, then a NREMT certificate is worthless.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.