had a ems friend get into some trouble

Actually MikeEMT many employers will fire the person because of the DWI. The last couple places I worked had a employee or two that were charged with DWI and those guys/gals were out on their butts as soon as the charges hit the local newspapers.

EMS Agencies have a hard enough time with good press let alone having a employee who drove drunk. The public will automatically assume that the person arrested has driven the ambulance drunk.

So not only will they fire you for the insurance concerns they also will fire you to show the public that they have a zero tolerance policy on this type of thing.

That's been my experience.

Really? We had that many people that felt the need to explain that they're opposed to drunk driving? Without answering the question? (I know that some of you, answered, don't mean to spew on you.)

Everyone here that's a fan of drunk driving and think that's it's a morally responsible thing to do, please raise your hand! Ok then. perhaps we proceed without all of the moral chest thumping?

Must be a slow day at the City?

It has nothing to do with "moral chest thumping," at least on my part. On my part is simply being tired and disgusted with Mike Ellis and the type of person that he represents.

Leaving aside who the "friend" actually is for a minute, let's think about this rationally, and using a little bit of common sense (two things that are very much required to be a competent provider and should have been done by the OP). Someone get's a DWI. This is an offence that generally stays on the driving record permanently (this may vary by locality and would be one of those things that the OP should be checking ON THEIR OWN), may potentially be a felony, likely will alter the drivers insurabability, and may temporarily or permanently cost someone their drivers license. What type of repercussions do you THINK there will be? In a job that requires driving? Hmmm...I wonder...

Perhaps instead of asking a bunch of random people from various states and countries the individual should immediately be contacting their employer...you know...the one that will decide if they stay employed.

Perhaps instead of asking a bunch of random people from various states and countries the individual should immediately be contacting their state EMS office/department...you know...the one that will decide if they keep their certification.

Perhaps instead of asking a bunch random people from various states and countries and, I can only guess but I think it's a good guess, digging for sympathy and reassurance, they should step up, accept the consequences of their actions and and start figuring out for themself what will happen next.

People screw up and make mistakes all the time. It happens. What's not ok, and what I have a problem with is when people try to duck responsibility and/or avoid having to do anything to rectify the situation, get informed about the situation, or any of the legwork involved. Happens far, far to often with younger people. (unfortunately even people who are my age)

The type of person represented by the OP (and this is abundantly clear from his previous posts) is nothing more than an overly-dramatic, immature, ignorant, thrill-seeking wannabee. End of story.

Edited by triemal04
  • Like 1

Really? We had that many people that felt the need to explain that they're opposed to drunk driving? Without answering the question? (I know that some of you, answered, don't mean to spew on you.)

Everyone here that's a fan of drunk driving and think that's it's a morally responsible thing to do, please raise your hand! Ok then. perhaps we proceed without all of the moral chest thumping?

Must be a slow day at the City?

Yet, you also did not answer a question but you did chastise us, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? Just sayin.

I'm calling moderator privelege Mikey...As well, I didn't know the answers...I've no idea how that works.

Perhaps instead of asking random people, triemal04, everyone should take every respiratory, cardiac, circulatory, trauma, psych question to their respective medical directors and/or agencies, you know, the people that will make the actual decisions on such things? Admin can shut down the site, and everyone can go home?

This site is about learning. If you don't like his drama, the post is clearly marked as to the poster, then don't come in and waste a bunch of your time responding to them...

Don't reply if you don't like him. Hit the report button if you don't like his posts. But adding a bunch of angry rah rah nonsense to all of this posts, making the envoronment even angrier and more dramatic, how does that help? Or take your beef to private messaging...

It's not your place to decide who gets to post what, or whether or not their questions are appropriate. You all are saying that this guy is a continuing problem yet I've not seen a single reported post...right? I know I'm not here as much as I would like to be when I'm deployed, but I do get around to such things....

Perhaps instead of asking random people, triemal04, everyone should take every respiratory, cardiac, circulatory, trauma, psych question to their respective medical directors and/or agencies, you know, the people that will make the actual decisions on such things? Admin can shut down the site, and everyone can go home?

Now why would anyone consider doing that? Since the point of this place is to talk, ask questions, BS, whatever, doesn't make any sense to shut it down because someone was using it for it's intended purpose.

Of course...when you ask a question the answer you receive isn't always going to be the one that you wanted...as mine was in this case. But just because the answer doesn't fit in with what someone wants, or what someone else THINKS should have been said isn't a reason to get upset, and doesn't mean it was wrong to give that answer. Based on the OP's history and displayed persona I feel quite confident in my assessment, and believe, and will continue to believe that my response was the appropriate one. Like I said...end of story.

This site is about learning. If you don't like his drama, the post is clearly marked as to the poster, then don't come in and waste a bunch of your time responding to them...

Yes it is. And part of learning is hearing things that you don't want to. It doesn't make the message any less valid, and it doesn't mean that someone else might not be able to take something away from it. You know...since this site is about learning.

Don't reply if you don't like him. Hit the report button if you don't like his posts. But adding a bunch of angry rah rah nonsense to all of this posts, making the envoronment even angrier and more dramatic, how does that help? Or take your beef to private messaging...

Whether or not I like someone is immaterial in this case. As far as reporting posts...why? Aside from my personal opinion that it's chickenshit to do that...why? What would be the point of that, and what would it solve?

My response wasn't "angry rah rah nonsense," sorry to dissapoint, but my response was based on Mike Ellis and how he comes across as a person. Believe me, this is much more polite and measured than I could be. When someone acts in a certain manner, be it good or bad, then it determines how they get treated. The OP has acted in a way that makes me think that he is all the things I said in the last 2 posts, so I respond as such.

I have no problem with PM's...but since this was brought up in a public setting, it should be answered in a public setting. Especially when you consider that people from all different walks of life, levels of EMS, different medical providers, et al may be on this forum. However I may come across, don't you think it would be better for them to know that certain personalities and character traits ARE NOT what is looked for in a good provider, and ARE NOT what people in EMS should be like?

It's not your place to decide who gets to post what, or whether or not their questions are appropriate. You all are saying that this guy is a continuing problem yet I've not seen a single reported post...right? I know I'm not here as much as I would like to be when I'm deployed, but I do get around to such things....

I know that...but it IS my place to answer a question when it is asked...since this site is about learning after all. I think I addressed the reporting posts above, but beyond that, it has been made abundantly clear that this site will tolerate people who are...well...less than appropriate when it comes to EMS, so what's the point? This isn't the place to go into my personal feelings on that matter (unless you really want to, and then game on! :beer: ) so I'll leave it at that.

But since the site tolerates that type of person...I don't see the problem in pointing out that certain types of people should not be involved in EMS, or the medical field, or perhaps more besides that, or pointing out that they are a detriment to EMS. Seems like the appropriate move, don'tcha think?

• Like 1

Well put Triemal

Having been a member here since the very beginning , there have been many different groups that have come & gone . some tried to rule with bluster , Some with DRAMA , and others with knowledge & experience.

Since I have been doing this since before many members were born, I only tolerate the whiners & fakers a short time, & then call them on what they are doing to my profession. The older I get the lower my tolerance for ineptitude.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.