How do you say Thank You?

Ya done good girl :-}

It's always a pleasure to get feedback from calls like that.

Congrats on not letting your relationship with your former employer get in the way of quality pt care.

Even more for the multiple saves on a guy circling the drain in spite of the best efforts you all put into him.

Like you, I'm in a small community where we often know our pt's and seem to get feedback from some and not from others.

I often check the obits to see if a pt has ended up there.

that or when the lady at the post office gives me thank you notes addressed to ""The ambulance crew" Bailey Island . They always end up in my mailbox.

• Like 1

Good story.. some people are elated when lives are saved, some aren't.

Took a man in, prolly fourteen years ago. Man was home w/ his youngest child, had no medical info written down, and the kid knew nothing - except how to dial 911. So, we get there, and he's pretty well grey-blue, fish out of water resps, pulse low enough to actually start CPR. The kid is calm and cooperative as could be, which worried me even more..b/c that just ain't normal. But just said he fell asleep.

Do CPR on and off for damn near an hour and a half, the third person w/ us couldn't do compressions, so I was on cloud nine when the patient finally just woke up...after a second hit of Narcan. I'd been an EMT for two months, I was too new to know that was given. Now I know the ALS protocols as well as the BLS. Anyhewww.. The wife comes in, and I'm sitting in the waiting room doing my report, all red, sweaty..and in a brilliantly colored jumpsuit that had our name on the back. She asks if I was the person who worked on her husband, I stand up, and just as I sit the clip board down, she hauls off and punches me in the back of the head, then the nose with the other hand. Blood everywhere.

The man had terminal cancer and OD'd on liquid morphine from the pain. She left for the night b/c it was planned, what wasn't planned was that the kid would call 911 before he was too far gone to bring back.The kid never told us he had cancer and he was so ashen and cyanotic, you couldn't tell he was yellow. Not even his eyes. Then when in cuffs, she realized his folder of medical info, normally on the fridge, was in her car.. I didn't press charges, but I haven't spoken to her since.

Holy shit, I can't type, spell or form sentences this morning!

Edited by Chief1C

Reminds me of a few years back when I got the call my Grandpa had gone VSA at a job site. They'd gotten him back, but I was trying not to be mister doom and gloom thinking to myself: "He's had four previous MI's, he's obese and he arrested in public. His chances..." Anyways, thanks to an RN passing by, a Simcoe County PCP unit that had just cleared the Hospital and had a less than 60 second response time a York EMS ACP unit close behind and great post-ROSC care by Southlake Regional Health Centre (not to mention Central York Fire Services and YRP and the Ambulance Communications Officers at Georgian CACC) he was released neurologically intact 6 weeks later.

I was still a student at the time, but when Spring came around and the Base Hospital hosted a Survivor's Day where Cardiac Arrest survivors could meet their rescuers I had the opportunity to attend, now in the uniform of the crews that had saved him. I met each and everyone involved in his care and thanked them personally. The fact that he was the Grandfather of a soon to be colleague really blew their minds and was a great experience for me and my entire family!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.