Clinicals!

MariB

Well, being as I work in the educational support field, I am off for 10 days!

I am scheduled tomorrow morning to ride with an ALS unit for 12 hours and work in their ER on their down time. This will be my first clinical experience.

I then got called back by another hospital to do clinicals the next morning in their ER/Trauma center and again Tuesday! I am going to be a busy busy girl.

I need 15 patient contacts. 10 medical, 5 trauma. The place I will be tomorrow had been known to fill it all in one day?!? However, even if that was to happen, I would still love the Trauma center. They have a reputation for taking students in helicopters!

Anyway, wish me luck, I should be sleeping, long drive means a 3 am wake up call for me. To get me some sleep I chose to get a hotel tomorrow night, but have a big test in between.

Nervous, excited and scared!!! This first place likes to make good students incident commanders.

• Like 1

Slow day, only 3 medical, 1 trauma... halfway through shift so far. They said it is a slow day. Waiting for the floor to drop out. Sigh

Slow day....hahahahaaa...she said slow day.......

Wonder if she is off cloning herself now... :)

Hang tough and have a great time!!

I kept threatening the "Q" word just to get some of my patient contacts. Until today, I have been unable to even touch a patient. Well, I got 7 of 15 contacts. 3 trauma, 4 medical.

My preceptors were fantastic. Only one ambulance call. Diabetic, blood glucose 28. Of course only thing I could do was apply O2 via nasal cannula as they started an IV and drew blood to get an accurate reading (glucose on fingers from well meaning family) so I gave him O2 at 2 lpm ;) . It is different running with a full ALS crew as opposed to a BLScrew with medics avaliable..

I took vitals on every who entered, even on patients who weren't mine.

I actually did an EKG AND and ECG?

white right, brown in the middle, smoke over fire and green under white.

I assessed a broken leg

a back injury

mastitis

the doctor showed me all the results for tests and x rays. Explaining this and that.

I assisted the doctor in splinting the leg until casting tomorrow. The whole time I was singing the Ands and counting since he was 3.

It was a great experience and the Ambulance director asked me back ;) said I as great

• Like 1

I did that at our hospital a few weeks back. We hadn't moved in almost a week and as I was sitting in the nursing station they asked how things were. I told them it was quiet. Quiet, oh so quiet, QUIIIIEEEEEEEEETTTTTT, and just kept saying it over and over on my way out the door. 20 minutes later they called me to take a cardiac to the city.