I just got my drivers license and got hired right away

Tracybeth88

So I know I should've really gotten my drivers license before I ever got my EMT certification, but I didn't.

Now I'm hired at transcare for transport and I brutally botched my CEVO road test and they've told me to practice driving in a uhaul truck. Since I'm in transport to start I don't have the module truck, so I feel renting a uhaul would be redundant. I have access to a work van, would that be the any help?

I had driven a van many times before driving an ambulance.

An ambulance is much wider. You can't see out of the back, backing up and turning can be trickier.

A uhaul would likely be more comparable, but I was able to just breeze right through my drivers test and I think driving the cargo van helped a lot.

remember to use both side mirrors.

Try backing up in an s motion.

Try doing a complete circle backwards, ending up in the same parking space you started in.

Take your turns wider, always start on the outer edge of your lane to avoid driving over a curb.

I don't have any advise on how to improve your driving skills other than to find a big vehicle and drive it as much as possible. It's good to see that TranScare is finally requiring more of their hires. When I worked there, all you needed was a card (ink could still be wet) and a pulse (though I think sometimes the pulse was optional). I guess having to deal with a federal investigation will make you up your game. Good luck and congrats on the new position.

So I know I should've really gotten my drivers license before I ever got my EMT certification, but I didn't.

Now I'm hired at transcare for transport and I brutally botched my CEVO road test and they've told me to practice driving in a uhaul truck. Since I'm in transport to start I don't have the module truck, so I feel renting a uhaul would be redundant. I have access to a work van, would that be the any help?

You might be hard pressed to find a Uhaul company that will rent to you if you are under a certain age.

And if you have someone rent a Uhaul for you and you damage the vehicle while driving it the insurance won't cover the damage to the vehicle since you weren't the one renting the vehicle, unless that person has deep pockets. I know this from renting lots of cars over the years and being in an accident or two. The car rental companies which I can only think would correlate to the uhaul companies will require full payment of the damage from your insurance or from the renter personally and that can be several thousands of dollars depending on the damage.

Hell I had to pay for a full windshield when I got a chip in the windshield on a recent rental. I didn't want to involve my insurance company so I paid out 245.00 to Hertz rather than have my insurance company pay the damages and see my personal car insurance go up. ( I don't do credit cards)

So my advice is if you are driving a rented uhaul that someone else rented for you is for you to practice driving it in a very big parking lot like a stadium parking lot.

I never have understood why people don't get their drivers licenses when they first are able, seems counterproductive. But that's just me.

Practice makes perfect and measure twice and park once.

A lot of the hospitals where I drive have people sleeping on the poorly lit ramps. This scares the crap out of me backing in. If in doubt if I am driving I have someone jump out ad help by "clearing the runway". Driving and ambulance has many other challenges beyond simply being able to control the vehicle.

• Like 1

I never have understood why people don't get their drivers licenses when they first are able, seems counterproductive. But that's just me.

Well looking at her location I completely understand. My sister is 40 and never once has been in the drivers seat of a car. With public transportation and the cost of ownership, she says owning a car in NYC is a luxury most never try to afford.

I can't imagine not having a vehicle and have been driving for 20 years, but my sister is terrified to try. Same family, different locations.

Edited by MariB

I have several customers from NY city. They own vehicles and have licenses but leave the cars here in Maine at their summer homes and take the train, bus or fly back & forth to the city. Parking is scarce and if you have to garage it, could cost 4-800 / month just for a parking spot.

I have several customers from NY city. They own vehicles and have licenses but leave the cars here in Maine at their summer homes and take the train, bus or fly back & forth to the city. Parking is scarce and if you have to garage it, could cost 4-800 / month just for a parking spot.

And a house in Maine costs how much? My grandfather has a house in Maine....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.