Curried Curse

Kiwiology

It turns out that the house is not normally this dirty; about two weeks ago all of the students went to the coast and caught a lot of shellfish because its summer and they wanted to BBQ them; apparently only a couple of the party ate them, including the sick one, the rest did not because they did not smell "right". It was about 4 days afterwards that she became sick. They have not cleaned since because they claim to have been too busy between studies and looking after their sick housemate.

The rash looks like this

rash.jpg

Amnesic Shellfish Poisoning then? There are numerous illnesses associated with shellfish especially during a red tide.

The rash makes me think a severe allergic reaction but because of the length of symptoms I would lean more towards poisoning and not an allergy.

This patient needs no more roommates to help her out.

She needs transport to an ED that has a much higher level of care than a local small ED.

In answer to ERDoc I understand in a nutshell that petechial rashes are the result of local areas of hemorrhage into the dermis. Correct?

You also mention that she has lower abdominal pain which leads me to wonder about her spleen and possible infection.

But then you describe a terribly messy house and possibly a contaminated water source so I think maybe Typhoid fever....

• Like 1