What kind of stethoscope do you prefer?

I have the tactical all-black Littmann Master Cardiology...

Good choice! I purchased one of those right before shipping out. It's the first adult stethoscope I have bought in over twenty years and I am extremely happy with it! It is quieter than any other scope I have ever owned. And, despite the popular misconception that amplification is the important factor in stethoscopes, noise rejection is very definitely the much more important factor. Especially when you get my age and your fingers are constantly creaking while trying to hold the stethoscope head against the patient's chest! But for just taking blood pressures and basic breath sounds, I wouldn't recommend that anybody waste money on any Littmann, much less a Cardiology scope.

I am also hard of hearing, so I have added 6.5 ET tubes to the exposed part of the headset...

Wait... I am trying to visualise this. You mean you have the metal eartubes covered by ET tubes, between the earpieces and the beginning of the plastic tubing? What possessed you to do that? Had you seen it done before, or was it just an idea you got out of nowhere? :?

Spellchecked for your reading pleasure!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a Littmann Master Cardiology (DROOL) the other day for the first time!! You could even hear over the top of the MX bikes. So much better than those stupid durohard ones. :blob4:

• 2 months later...

I actually own a Mabis Latex-Free Sprague Rappaport-Type Stethoscope. I bought it for about $20 or so and during my clinicals I picked up on sounds and got BPs better then a lot of my Paramedic and EMT preceptors. It's a decent scope but while the thicker tubing is supposed to limit noise it sure makes a lot when the tubs come in contact with each other. I've also borrowed a few Littmans and noticed a considerable about of detail and clarity missing in my Mabis which is why I'm about to get a Littman soon (still undecided over which Littman to get).

In the end I think if it works it works. All you need is patience and knowledge of what you're listening for. Sometimes all you need to do is slow down and listen again. In my case the only reason I am upgrading is because of the cumbersome nature of my Mabis and the noisy tubing. (That and the cheap plastic bell broke) In the end it's a question of what is the best match for your needs. For basic EMS duties the cheap ones work fine most of the time. If you're a good EMT you can usually compensate for the inadequacies of your steth. However if you're looking for that extra detail and are considering long term EMS work or leapfrogging up the medical ladder it may be work investing in your own professional quality equipment. (I'm a leapfrogger)

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.