NJ EMT takes dispute to court

Arctickat

A dispute over the rights of a Fredon resident to respond independently to accident scenes and medical emergencies has spurred legal action in local and state courts.

Louis Ratti, a former member of the Fredon fire and EMS squads, said in an interview Thursday that he will continue to respond to emergency calls despite requests from Fredon and Newton officials for him to stop.

http://www.njherald.com/story/19255901/former-ems-squad-member-takes-dispute-to-court

Doesn't he require some sort of medical advisor?

Holy apeshit, Batman. This guy is friggin' nuts. Someone needs to let him know exactly what his "education" is. This guy is going to endanger a patient someday, it's just a matter of time. I hope this gets referred to the state so it can be investigated.

Rather "sticky", since he does have a certification from the state, that I assume is not limited to any department or agency. The state is saying that he is qualified to render aid as an EMT. Unless he has done someting wrong to a patient I don't see how anyone can place sanctions on him for emergency care.

Is there something I am missing here?

My issue is not so much with him rendering aid but with his overall attitude which I think speaks volumes about him. He went almost to the point of threatening a state trooper. Just from the statements in the single article, he is the type of provider who I can see going well beyond his scope of practice because he is an EMT and has the "education." The problem with people like this are is that they have no idea what they don't know and will get themselves in WAY over thier head and a patient will be harmed because of it. When the responding company arrives, it is time to give report, step aside and let them take over care.

EDIT: Is this guy also properly documenting his responses? If he is knowingly responding to MVA scenes, is he wearing proper OSHA approved reflective clothing (I would guess he is a large Gall's customer, so the answer is probably yes). Is he responding to calls at private residences? I have a big problem with this. It's one thing to buff a call in a public area but another to go into someone else's house.

Edited by ERDoc

Thanks ERDoc, I see some points that I had not thought of. Thanks for the insight.

Holy whacker Batman! This guy is completely out of control.

For starters he was probably removed from his volly squad for good reason. It's volly for crying out loud. Unless this squad is drastically different than most you pretty much have to kill someone to get the boot.

As for his "education," the equivalent of a 3 week first aid course doesn't qualify you to make any medical decisions beyond the provision of basic first aid. For all this guy knows the state trooper and firefighters could be EMT or even Paramedic qualified making him the jackass.

What is out with New Jersey? I've never been there and this kind of thing makes me leery about ever going.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

Is he responding to calls at private residences? I have a big problem with this. It's one thing to buff a call in a public area but another to go into someone else's house.

From the article

In a responding email, Richards states that Ratti "is not permitted at any scenes of a private residence since he is unaffiliated. He is directed by a police officer to leave any scenes located in a public roadway as soon as any EMS personnel arrives."

From that quote I can make the hypothesis that, at one time, he was attemting to enter a private dwelling but has since been prevented entry. I have no idea what happens if he gets there before anyone else though.

I'm confused as to what authority he believes gives him the right to do anything without being affiliated with a medical director? He claims to be the highest level of authority on scene, but where is that authority coming from besides his 'education.'

Without being affiliated with medical control he's really just impersonating an EMT when on scene, isn't he? No different really than any other impersonator?

I mean, being certified as an EMT is an actual title when sitting at home, becomes an abstract when considering acting, but a non title without medical control when acting it would seem to me?

I'm confused as to what authority he believes gives him the right to do anything without being affiliated with a medical director? He claims to be the highest level of authority on scene, but where is that authority coming from besides his 'education.'

Without being affiliated with medical control he's really just impersonating an EMT when on scene, isn't he? No different really than any other impersonator?

I mean, being certified as an EMT is an actual title when sitting at home, becomes an abstract when considering acting, but a non title without medical control when acting it would seem to me?

That entirely depends on location of practice. In BC for example I'm expected to act within the scope of my license, and within the confines of what I have available for resources. If I have more advanced resources available to me and the treatment is appropriate I'm expected to use those resources.

I can't speak for New Jersey. Just worth bearing in mind that those restraints are jurisdiction specific.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I think an issue here is, at what point does something go from rendering first aid to providing EMT level care? No one needs a medical director to provide first aid. Is holding the head considered and EMT level skill? Is there really much difference between first aid and EMT level skills, except for oxygen administration and OPAs? EMS is such a gray area and I don't think there is much precedence to make an answer. Rock_shoes, keep in mind, this is New Jersey EMS and the volley system, one of the most bass ackwards systems in the world.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.