NJ EMT takes dispute to court

Arctickat

But then the question is, is he doing anything above what a layperson would do (not directed at you Dwayne, just in general)? Is c-spine stabilization above the first aid level? If not, can anyone really say anything about it?

I would question if having a certification or license trumps the Good Samaritan philosophy and obligates to medical direction. This has always been a huge question for for me. Exactly how much can we help when we are off duty.

In criminal cases I believe (not verified with a lawyer) that intent is one of the major contributors to the difference between manslaughter and murder. In this case I think motive and intent is more important than opportunity. There would seem to be a big difference between helping someone that you casually run across during normal activities and actively seeking accidents to run to. The comparison is not in the act but the value of the implications of intent.

I've no issues with his holding c-spine, but with him deciding to do so after those in charge of the scene decided that it wasn't necessary, stating that he was the highest level of care on scene.

He seems to believe that obtaining an EMT cert. made him an entity, when in fact he's simply a bystander unless associated with a responsible organization.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.