Greatest Embarrassment

emtdennis

About 3 years ago I was doing this dishes in a bra and thong panties. I slipped on some water and dislocated my patella. I was right by a phone and could have called 911 but because of what I was wearing or lack of what I was wearing I called my husband who was at the store and told him to come home asap! He helped me get a shirt and shorts on. Even though my knee hurt like hell all u could think of is need I get clothes on ! Good thing too because I knew one of the fireman who came. He was like " hey arn't too Reid's daughter??" yeah pretty embarrassing if they would have came and I had no clothes on

So. Want. To, Be. On. That. Call .... :D

Not only are we upside down but we are backwards too, NTG is GTN :D

Yeah, I;ve noticed that. What's up with that?

About 3 years ago I was doing this dishes in a bra and thong panties

Sorry, did you say something after that?

• Like 1

About 3 years ago I was doing this dishes in a bra and thong panties. I slipped on some water and dislocated my patella. I was right by a phone and could have called 911 but because of what I was wearing or lack of what I was wearing I called my husband who was at the store and told him to come home asap! He helped me get a shirt and shorts on. Even though my knee hurt like hell all u could think of is need I get clothes on ! Good thing too because I knew one of the fireman who came. He was like " hey arn't too Reid's daughter??" yeah pretty embarrassing if they would have came and I had no clothes on

I am sure your FF friend is a complete professional and gentleman that would have ignored your clothes and focused on the seriousness of your injury, unless of course he had trauma shears. :bonk:

Yeah, I;ve noticed that. What's up with that?

Glyceryl trinitrate is an alternate name for NTG first used in Commonwealth Mother England to avoid public concern at the use of the name nitroglycerin which was associated with explosive use in British coal mines in the late 1800s when first used medically.

The slang term "nitro" is sometimes used here but not very common

Sorry, did you say something after that?

Yeah I don't know if she did, it sort of all blended together after that I had some sort of back out caused by hyperstimulation

But then again I suppose bra and panties are not very common in Mittenworld ... what with the freezing temperatures and all

Glyceryl trinitrate is an alternate name for NTG first used in Commonwealth Mother England to avoid public concern at the use of the name nitroglycerin which was associated with explosive use in British coal mines in the late 1800s when first used medically.

The slang term "nitro" is sometimes used here but not very common

Yeah I don't know if she did, it sort of all blended together after that I had some sort of back out caused by hyperstimulation

But then again I suppose bra and panties are not very common in Mittenworld ... what with the freezing temperatures and all

Bras are pretty optional here and their use is inversely proportional to the weight of the woman.

Edited by ERDoc

Bras are pretty optional here and their use is inversely proportional to the weight of the woman.

That is enough to make me stay south of the border in Hoosierland

Let's see, Hoosierland has racing and yet Mittenworld has ... fat, braless women, hmm ... *leaps out of way of collapsing stage, phew, oh look another left turn, hey get me a hot dog or some chips or something bro?

Motor city my ass ... Y'all might build em, but we know how to use 'em :D

Edited by Kiwiology

Maybe not truly in the spirit of the thread but the most humiliating thing that I can imagine is being caught in a lie regarding patient care.

I've had several calls where I made what I believe to be significant errors and wanted badly to lie. For example I gave a 75 year old man 25mg promethazine and then had to bag him into the ER. (Though, in my defense, he did in fact stop vomiting.) I wanted in the worst possible way, as I was a pretty new medic, to tell them that I'd given him 12.5mg (even though the protocol dose for his age and condition was 6mg) and just claim that he seemed to have had an atypical reaction. But I didn't, and thankfully the ER doc on duty chose not to excise my only just budding medic testicles. Though that was terribly embarrassing, it wasn't life altering. And besides, I'm confident that the doc was actually looking into my soul when he asked for the dosage more than ready to give me a really bad day when I lied.

I don't like lying in general, but with medicine, man, I have just been thoroughly convinced that that is an unforgivable sin.

Probably my most embarrassing to date, though I've little doubt that I'll surpass it before long, was on my first needle decompression. I assessed, and assessed before doing it, was confident that it was appropriate, found my place, plunged the needle with great gusto, pulled the cap, and nothing happened. I was sure that it was the right intervention, right placement, but got nothing. This patient soon coded, though I'd like to believe that I wasn't completely responsible for that. Of course I can't be sure.

I did CPR into the ER, the doc asked if I'd gotten air with the decompression, I said no, and at that exact moment it occurred to me that though when practicing the decompression needle came out with the cap, in this case I just pulled a cap and couldn't remember pulling the needle!! So in one of those incredibly silent moments that only seem to happen in a group when you're going to cuss inappropriately, or pass gas, I pulled the next layer of plastic, which was ACTUALLY attached to the needle, everyone watched the giant 4 foot long, 6 inch wide needle slide from his chest, followed by an extremely obvious, continuous hiss of air.

But I learned two really important things from that call. The first, that pretending to do medicine because it's what I was taught is not the same as actually trying to do medicine which requires verification not only of competent delivery but actual positive or negative effect of every intervention.

Also, the next day, while feeling like one of the biggest idiots on the planet, another medic that I respected says, "You did a needle decompression? God damn it! I've not done one yet!" And then a few minutes later, "But then again, it's you, so I guess if I did everything just because I can then I'd have done one by now too." Which taught me to take that kind of criticizm, even when it feels crushing and make sure that it's not also valid. Then, upon a thorough review of such charges, finding them to be invalid, to accept that some medics will hate you if you try and do your best for every patient, particularly if you do things that they are to afraid to do, but wish they weren't.

It's a fine line, and as I've shown of late, one that I'm not always confident enough to walk without significant leaning and windmilling of arms.

Another medic that I respect greatly convinced me of the value, and taught me to do nasal intubations. I've only done 6, but in each case it was, I believe, a benefit to my patients (RSI not available any place that I've worked outside of Afg. Or in the one place where it was I wasn't there long enough to be able to apply it as they had a one year requirement before training on it.) and I'm convinced that had I stayed doing street medicine that I'd have done many more. Despite that I know of very few medics that have done any.

The reason I mention that is that I got the same response from the same medic, and others at the same service, that "Well, I guess if you don't care about your patients and just want to try shit..." I've come to believe that this is the great rallying cry of those unwilling to do what scares them.

Anyway, not sure if this is in the spirit of the thread, but was hoping to give something to keep Doc and Kiwi from dragging another off into the ditch...

Dwayne

• Like 1

What are you trying to say Dwayne? I wouldn't say you made a mistake with the Phenergan. Just because you didn't follow your protocol doesn't mean it was a mistake. It sounds more like a known side effect than a mistake. Lying should never happen. If you make a mistake, fess up. The lie can be compounded if those that come after you don't know what actually happened.

Dude promethazine gives you wicked hallucinations I got some IV promethazine when I had gastro and next thing you know I was talking to flying purple elephants who were sommersalting through the air and sparkly dogs walking on the roof inbetween blank periods when i lost consciousness

The Doctor said if my GCS has dropped any more they'd have tubed me

Edited by Kiwiology