EMT exam tips?

Mike: to help people. No questions about that. But there's nothing wrong about wanting to know how the test is like is there? Or stuff to do before or bring to the test? Or what to do during like if its computerized or written and such? The information part is easy. I have a whole textbook and set of online lectures for that. And a workbook. But nothing about the test at all and i don't want to be totally confused and panicked when i get there and then forget everything you know?

There is something wrong about wanting to know about the test in advance. Finding out what the test is like rather defeats the purpose of it being a test. The exam is designed to see what you know based on a variety of questions and case presentations. If you knew in advance what would be covered on the exam then you would have no motivation to study as much material as possible. That will only hurt any patient you wind up treating after you took the exam.

It's also called cheating.

You didn't ask about stuff to do or bring to the test. You didn't ask about computerized or written exams. You asked for tips. Asys gave you the best answer you could get when he recommended you study.

What you bring or don't bring will be information provided by the testing center. Computer based testing or written exams will also be information provided by the testing center. If you search the forums you will find a variety of discussions regarding preparing for an exam. What you will not find, and what you should not expect to find, is inside information on the test itself.

Study. Know the material inside and out. Know it in your sleep. That way, when the exam rolls around, it won't matter how it's presented or what is asked. You'll know it cold. And you'll be able to do that with a patient as well.

I'm not sure if its computerized or not. If it's not computerized bring two #2 pencils, it's multiple choice. Follow the instructions for filling in the dots you are provided. The questions are random ones from different study areas that make up a certain percentage of the total answers, i.e. the test will be 10% Operations, 20% Pediatrics, 20% Trauma, etc. I'm sure if you Google it you'll find the exact percentages.

If you've read all the chapters and gone to class faithfully and answered the questions in the workbook, there shouldn't be any problem with taking it. A brilliant guy named Richard Feynman, a nobel prize winner, came up with a sure-fire algorithm for solving complex math problems, it had three parts. 1. Write down the problem. 2. Think very hard. 3. Write down the answer. He was tongue-in-cheek kind of guy but there is some brilliance there.

Does NJ recognize national registry?

If so then your class practicle was probably good .

If they do use nat reg for end testing then it will be an adaptive computerized testing facility. Getting into these places is harder than flying on an airplane today. Security is utmost in their minds.

You will sit in front of a computer that will give you a series of questions. You have to pick the "most" correct answer from the choices given.

There is usually one answer that is so far out in left field to be obvious, then a couple that are a maybe, only one is the correct answer according to them.

Read the question carefully exactly as written. Don't read anything into the question.

Then choose the most correct answer. Answer every question as it comes up on the screen, as you can't skip over a question and go back to it later.

Computer adaptive testing will give you questions on a given subject until it knows you either have it or don't.

I've had students where the machine shuts off at 70 questions and others get to 150 questions. Don't try and worry about how many you get. Every test is a different group of questions in random order from the test bank.

Just review your class materials and go into the test day well rested and make sure you eat before you go.

It just....shuts off? Does it tell you your score at least? ;w; and you can take the nationals if you want to, but it doesn't really recognize it so it says? But thanks for all the awesome stuff ^_^

Thats it: When the computer figures that you have failed or passed, it just shuts down.

Last class of kids that took it got anywhere from 70 -150 questions . The one with 70 questions did very well and the 150 questions just passed by a whisker. Have had students fail with 90-100 questions.

You don't get the results until a few days later by e-mail.

Edited by island emt

At this point review the basics, techniques then go into

Scenarios, scenarios!!!

Look at the topics in your student book and ask yourself what would you do if came on this particular situation.

Get a close friend or family member and go through some techniques practice without trying to stickem with a needle or intubate or use an OPA on them while they are wide awake (ya could lose a friend that way).

Just a few humble ideas..

Good luck on the test..

• Like 1

the answer is simple squamous epithelium

if the answer is not simple squamous epithelium the answer will be high flow oxygen

should the answer be neither simple squamous epithelium or high flow oxygen the answer will most certainly be contact the medical control physician

Kiwiology,

I'm glad you mentioned squamous epithelium.

That choice has worked for me with many a patient.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.