losing skills after time

i was wanting every ones opinions. i work for a service who only allows the bls ambulance to do discharges and lift assist calls. they can only take emergency calls if all the als trucks are out on calls or transfers, which is very rare. my questions is, do you think emt-basics lose what they are taught or skills if they don't use them. please give me your feed back. thank you

I think you underestimate the skills of a good EMT. The ability to properly size up a scene, parking well (so we can get out - FAST if need be), patient assessment, knowing what needs to be done when, safe gurney handling, lifting, radio operations, etc. etc. etc.

There is no doubt that timing and fine tuning of skills and abilities is adversely impacted when they are not being done on a regular basis.

• Like 2

Good to see you back Kaisu!

I'm going to agree: At any level if you don't use it you will lose it to some degree.

There has been a push in many areas to have two Paramedics on every truck on every call.

That is a ridiculous waste of personnel, education and money.Let your basics runs the calls that don't need major level intervention, which are a high percentage of calls.

Let the Intermediates run the more challenging calls that can be handled within their license level. and reserve the highly educated and skill trained Paramedics for the calls that truly need them.

Resource management is the name of the game. That doesn't mean having a Paramedic holding the steering wheel.

The ability to properly size up a scene, parking well (so we can get out - FAST if need be), patient assessment, knowing what needs to be done when, safe gurney handling, lifting, radio operations, etc. etc. etc.

If the OP is not performing these actions on the runs s/he does do then I think there are larger things to worry about than skill retention.

Skills should become muscle memory... I have not been on an ambulance as a provider since Summer 2009. I still remember all of the BLS and most ALS skills necessary to perform the job. I am fairly confident that I could go take the basic exam and pass today. Only things that are starting to get pretty fuzzy are drug doses, but even those if I sit and think hard enough I can remember. I'm sure some things are rusty, and I take time to think things through and keep my brain active on this site.

I think you underestimate the skills of a good EMT. The ability to properly size up a scene, parking well (so we can get out - FAST if need be), patient assessment, knowing what needs to be done when, safe gurney handling, lifting, radio operations, etc. etc. etc.

There is no doubt that timing and fine tuning of skills and abilities is adversely impacted when they are not being done on a regular basis.

No I did not--as the skills you listed can all be used continuously in a non emergency position, therefore there is no potential "loss".

In answer to your question, yes there are some skills that get rusty if not used. Continuing Education is ok but a lot of times all they do is verbal reiteration of said skills. That is what I pointed out many times in our CEU classes, throw in some practical’s and or scenario’s and it would be much better and so they have. We do everything from pt assessment, extrication, 12 lead, auto pulse, trending vitals, KED (yes we still use it in rural Iowa) and so forth.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.