Doc rolls out 'Hangover Heaven' on Vegas Strip

emt2359

Maybe he is talking about a JTip. We use them all of the time in the peds ER. Rockshoes, I hope the lidocaine hurt worse than anything else (except maybe the original injury), that means that it worked, lol.

Maybe he is talking about a JTip. We use them all of the time in the peds ER. Rockshoes, I hope the lidocaine hurt worse than anything else (except maybe the original injury), that means that it worked, lol.

That's exactly it. The lidocaine hurt more than the injury. With that being the case I'd rather just suck it up for 30 seconds while the nurse put a 20 gage in my hand.

Last practicum rotation I did in a peds ER they were using this thing called a "buzzy." The idea was that it would numb the site by vibrating against the skin just prior to IV cannulation. It actually seemed to work fairly well with most of the kids.

Isn't there some sort of foam you can apply to numb the skin? I have a tiny jar of gel stuff that supposedly numbs the skin for tattoos. But I'm not exactly comfortable finding out if it works or not. It may seem like a good idea now, but in 50 years when I have alzheimers - if I'm even still alive - drooling in a nursing home, I may not want art work on my person.

Ive had stitches to the fingers twice, the first time it required about 3 stitches, my most vivid memory is the sting of the lidocaine, the second time I required just a single stitch, the doc gave me the option of going with or without lido, I declined it, and it hurt a little when the stitch went through, but it was much preferable to the lido injection.

Isn't there some sort of foam you can apply to numb the skin? I have a tiny jar of gel stuff that supposedly numbs the skin for tattoos. But I'm not exactly comfortable finding out if it works or not. It may seem like a good idea now, but in 50 years when I have alzheimers - if I'm even still alive - drooling in a nursing home, I may not want art work on my person.

Are you thinking emla cream?

Read about it. I really think that the future of EMS lies more with "mobile health services" similar to this; a la same vein as the numerous up and coming community paramedic initiatives.

Read about it. I really think that the future of EMS lies more with "mobile health services" similar to this; a la same vein as the numerous up and coming community paramedic initiatives.

Funny that. I just finished a 10 page final paper for my paramedic program on the prospect of bringing an Emergency Care Practitioner model into Canada.

Funny that. I just finished a 10 page final paper for my paramedic program on the prospect of bringing an Emergency Care Practitioner model into Canada.

Really? Care to share it with the rest of us? =)

Yeh I never understood the numb ya before I stick ya concept (in relation to IVs that is) :)

I remember years ago when I had to have some same day surgery and they insisted on doing this. I told them it was stupid, just put the IV in, but they absolutely would not do it any other way...injected my hand with lido first, then started the IV.

I always have thought that the lido was to compensate for poor canalization skills.

Really? Care to share it with the rest of us? =)

Can do. Anyone who's interested can PM me their e-mail address and I'd be happy to pass it along.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.