Pain managment techniques within the EMT-B and paramedic scope of practice

runswithneedles

As much as I hate drug seekers, I hate lying to pts even more. Something about that whole Hippocratic Oath/ethics thing.

"Dr. Blair recommends homeopathic medicines to his patients. There is no scientific evidence or widely accepted theory to suggest that homeopathic medicines work, and Dr. Blair doesn't believe them to. He recommends homeopathic medicine to people with mild and non-specific symptoms such as fatigue, headaches, and muscle aches, because he believes that it will do no harm, but will give them reassurance.

Consider the ethical problems that Dr. Blair’s behaviour might pose. Discuss these issues with the interviewer."

Edited by Asysin2leads

To be clear, although it remains an interesting concept, and I am facinated by the placebo effect, I have not yet given the "morphine patch" as a treatment; however, it was told to me by a co-worker who states it does give his patients relief of their pain if you truly believe that it will help them.

From the Medicarenhic.com website, "Ambulance Billing Guide" PDF:

"Advanced Life Support, Level 1 (ALS1) Non-emergency - ALS1 is transportation by ground ambulance vehicle, and the provision of, medically necessary supplies and services including an ALS assessment by ALS personnel or at least one ALS intervention."

I don't think a saline lock placed at the hospital counts as an intervention. According to the same PDF,

"Advanced life support (ALS) intervention is a procedure that is, in accordance with State and local laws, required to be performed by an emergency medical technician-intermediate (EMT-Intermediate) or EMT-Paramedic. An ALS intervention must be medically necessary to qualify for payment as an ALS level of service. An ALS intervention applies only to ground transports"

I still don't think if they did it at the hospital it counts as an ALS intervention. If it was, you'd need at least an EMT-I in the back. EMT-B + Saline lock + ALS1 = Medicare :angry:

I have no idea what you just said ....

I have no idea what you just said ....

My apologies. Ahem. Right, mate if you wanna be gettin' that federal dena, point ya ears this way and listen up. First, you gotta put the bloke in sumpin' on the ground. Then ya gotta get some ALS fella to give him a butcher's, and some medical tucker. Don't try to pull the ol' wool on us by given us an EMT and callin' it gold. Right?

How's that?

From the Medicarenhic.com website, "Ambulance Billing Guide" PDF:

"Advanced Life Support, Level 1 (ALS1) Non-emergency - ALS1 is transportation by ground ambulance vehicle, and the provision of, medically necessary supplies and services including an ALS assessment by ALS personnel or at least one ALS intervention."

I don't think a saline lock placed at the hospital counts as an intervention. According to the same PDF,

"Advanced life support (ALS) intervention is a procedure that is, in accordance with State and local laws, required to be performed by an emergency medical technician-intermediate (EMT-Intermediate) or EMT-Paramedic. An ALS intervention must be medically necessary to qualify for payment as an ALS level of service. An ALS intervention applies only to ground transports"

I still don't think if they did it at the hospital it counts as an ALS intervention. If it was, you'd need at least an EMT-I in the back. EMT-B + Saline lock + ALS1 = Medicare :angry:

O_O than

1. Im going to be in a world of hurt

2. I have countless runs ive classified as ALS I

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.