This is why many of us hate (generally speaking) the fire services....

DwayneEMTP

DFIB, I got that from three places...

First, he's the only one that even mentioned that he was involved. The airline completely ignored his heroic contribution.

Secondly, they thank their crews for doing their jobs really well. No mention of heroes. I would appear that the airlines expect their people to be able to do simple first aid/patient care without news photos or having their names on some holy wall or plaque.

Third, the sentence, "Everyone on the plane was, like, "he's a hero!" . Do you think that 'everyone' was? And if that was the case, don't you think that they could have gotten a quote from someone besides him?

And even if people on the plane were saying that, according to his own replaying of events, he did nothing really but hold her hair when she puked, and her hand after. There is only one reason that I can see to repeat it...because he wanted the words linked to his name in the paper.

You could be right Brother, but I'm still calling douchebag...It's just too huge of a coincidence that a fireman and the word hero would be in the same sentence...Though of course no surprise that he's the only one that recognized his heroism.

And, this just occurring to me, why was he even still there instead of through baggage claim and on his way to...the hero convention or wherever the hell he was going? This was for the airlines to comment on, not the bystanders.

Dwayne

In all of the public services....especially in EMS.....there are times that we go above and beyond to bring credit to the service that we have chosen, or have been called to. To me this guy could of just sat in his seat and ignored the call, but he did not. In order to help with the situation at hand, he had to identify himself one way or another. He in the end said "I am not a hero, just doing my job. Even though I was not working".

Dwayne, you are absolutely right Fire services get all the credit and praise for the job that they do. EMS hardly gets a mention when it comes to saving lives. The only thing that I can contribute this to, are shows like "Emergency", "Rescue Me", etc. My thoughts are not that of hatred or dismay, that we don't get credit and the fire services do. My thoughts are: I am thankful for being called to serve the people in the capicity that I do. Whether it is to work on a bus back in the states, hold a lady's hand while she is ill, or working in Mongolia as a remote medic. I do not sell what I do short, I actually take it as an awesome responsibility. I get great pride in knowing that I/we (my team-mates) have made a positive difference in somebodies life today. The rewards that I receive in this life, will not compare to the rewards that I will receive in my life in heaven (my belief). I have to agree with DFIB on this one, this guy was not tooting his own horn, although I know of plenty of FF's that would, he was just trying to make a positive difference in someones life. He did this by doing what he knows best. If the other people on the plane saw him as a hero, then so be it. It could as easily been you or I on that plane and doing what we know best. Just my thoughts on the first article.

As far as the second article, well joke or no joke this guy should be hung. I know how the fire services treat rookies, noobs, neops, or what ever you want to call them. However, if you are being harrassed, embarrased, or "abused", then take it up the chain, and if you don't think that as an option.....grow a set of balls and settle the problem man to man. Don't sneak and put something in his drink, whether it is to just make him sick or otherwise. Because those actions can not only cause harm to that person, they can bring harm to fellow firefighters, other public servants, or the general public in which you serve. Just my rant on the second article.

MongoMedic

• Like 1

Quoted from the article:

"Over the intercom, a flight attendant asked if there was a doctor on board.

"They were all standing over her, and at that time I identified myself as a Memphis firefighter."

I'm having a real problem unstanding how this guy could rationlize being firefighter is synonymous with being a doctor.

A very scary mind-set in my opinion.

• Like 1

Quoted from the article:

"Over the intercom, a flight attendant asked if there was a doctor on board.

"They were all standing over her, and at that time I identified myself as a Memphis firefighter."

I'm having a real problem unstanding how this guy could rationlize being firefighter is synonymous with being a doctor.

A very scary mind-set in my opinion.

I think it's fair to interpret "Is there a doctor on board" as "Is there anyone with medical training on board."

• Like 1

I think Sarah Chalke is hot and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, does that count? :D

Of course I'd probably say something "G'day bro you look a bit crook, are you feeling a bit nunngered? like do you have pain in your noggin, ticker or gizzard?" ... hmmm that might not help

I think it's fair to interpret "Is there a doctor on board" as "Is there anyone with medical training on board."

Exactly. Years ago I was on a trip to Vegas with my then girlfriend, having a good time and a couple drinks. About 2 hours into the flight, I heard that exact announcement. I looked around but could not see what was going on. About 5 minutes later, they repeated the announcement. I was utterly stunned- I thought every flight had some type of doctor on board- OB/Gyn, podiatrist- ANYTHING. Nope. Not on my flight.

So I wandered to the back of the aircraft and explained I was a paramedic. They damn near dragged me to the back of the plane. I found an approximately 30 year old female, writhing around the floor in the galley. To make a long story short, I surmised that at worst, she may have had a bad polish sausage and had a bit of diarrhea, nausea, and a WHOLE bunch of drama. Vitals were better than mine, completely benign exam, no PMH, etc. Apparently she also just had a spat with her boyfriend according to the passengers near her, and I think this was mostly about getting some attention.

My patient? She was fine. After a few minutes she returned to her seat, calmed down, and the rest of the flight was uneventful. When we landed, EMS entered the plane, I gave them a report, they evaluated her, and apparently the patient eventually refused transport.

Hero status? Hardly- just a bunch of passengers- myself included- who were grateful we did not need to divert and delay our vacations. The airline was also happy since they did not need to spend tens of thousands on a diversion, which would have caused missed connections, wasted fuel, and rebooking hassles.

First article: Such shitty writing... why bother whinging about it? Seriously. Also, please note: Chinese family that had a translator speaking to her husband... cultural perceptions of what happened, and perhaps misunderstanding the level or risk may have skewed things a little bit. Add to that a reporter probably asks the firefighter to comment, after he receives a thank-you note from the son... got some time inconsistencies here as to when different statements were made.

Whatever. Not worth bothering about, seriously.

Second article: Go to jail and stay there. Nobody in their right mind responds to pranking/hazing (even escalating intensity stuff) with putting something toxic/poisonous in a bottle that's meant to be drunk from. I say audit everyone involved, and disciplinary action for everyone involved in escalating workplace violence... that's what this is, you know. It starts out psychological, and if not addressed can sadly turn physical.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

But he didn't receive a thank you note from the son, the airlines did, to the 'passengers and crew', it was the reporter that named him specifically, not the note.

And he shouldn't have been there to be interviewed. He should have been to hell and gone from baggage claim....

Of course it doesn't matter, but it's fun to dissect.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.