This is why many of us hate (generally speaking) the fire services....

DwayneEMTP

Edit: To make special mention that my post title says, "Fire services" and not "Firemen." As a whole, I despise the fire services, but within them I've found many, many that I have great respect for and have become lifelong friends with. (None come to mind at the moment, but I'm sure it's happened. The law of averages practically demands it.) I just wanted to make that distinction. Dwayne

Is anyone else surprised that it's a fireman in the story that accepts credit for saving a life when he in fact simply sat next to and held the hand of a woman snowed on motion sickness meds?

I love how in the story all of the thanks go to the crew except for the fireman speaking of his own heroism...no one else even friggin' mentions him. "Everyone on the plane was, like, "he's a hero" but I was just doing my job, even though I wasn't working..." Friggin ridiculous...

What do you suppose the odds are that the fire services will now have a big ceremony, complete with a tearful reunion with the woman that was never really in any significant danger, so that the press can have their pictures?

Every real medic that I know would have said something like, " After assessing her I discovered that she was altered but not not dangerously so. I sat with her to make sure that she didn't compromise her airway while sleeping, but she was never in any real danger." Only the shitheads, (which of course are not only from the fire dept, but it's only fire that I see exerting so much energy to get such nonsense on the front pave of papers.) would say, and it appears, believe, "I held a hand....another life saved!!"

Is it just me? Is anyone else not getting completely over this bullshit "I'm a hero!!!" nonsense? Why do we not burn these shitheads down in public when this happens?

http://www.ems1.com/...life-in-midair/

Edit: And another reason...

http://www.ems1.com/...son-lieutenant/

He admitted to putting toxic substances into another man's canteen...

"Firefighter Moore is in jail without bond and suspended with pay until the fire department finishes an internal investigation. He has also been charged with aggravating stalking in the case."

Man...I think that I may finally be out of words to describe how I feel about this shit....

Is it just me? Is anyone else not getting completely over this bullshit "I'm a hero!!!" nonsense? Why do we not burn these shitheads down in public when this happens?

Too many of them, and there's other places I'd rather burn political capital than on the "ZOMG, I'm a hero.HERO DON'T YOU SEE!" Heck, I'm sure I burned a few dollars when I pointed out in a Facebook group that, while Gov. Christie's order to fly the national flag at half staff for Whitney Houston is illegal per flag code, it's just as illegal when the fire, police, or EMS department does it when one of their members die.

• Like 1

I don't let firefighter antics bother me too much anymore. This is because I noticed a trend. Tell someone they are a hero enough and they actually start to believe it. And when you're a hero, you can do no wrong. Rear end someone? You're a hero. It wasn't your fault. Get out of the car and scream at them. Want to cheat on your wife? You're a hero. Its okay. Keep it 'in house'. Want to get drunk at work? You're a hero. Your job is stressful. Its okay. So, give them a parade, give them a gift certificate and some badge bunny's phone number, then sit back and watch the fun start.

Edited by Asysin2leads

Wow, he got news stories and props for his heroics....I have helped out on planes with much longer durations than 3.5 hours with NO WHERE to land and I got nothing....maybe I need a better PR department??

Yeh Dwayne I am with ya, tired of the BS false heroics.

I have helped out on planes with much longer durations than 3.5 hours with NO WHERE to land and I got nothing....maybe I need a better PR department??

See, I told you to hire me as your business manager, but nooo you had to hire some Australian, prick :D

The Fire Service gets 4x the funding of Ambulance but does 1/4 the work; that is totally fair ....

IAFF and IAFC are totally bullshit; they spin some bullshit and flash marketing to get ambulance contracts and generally provide pretty piss poor EMS

And they are on record as opposing increases in paramedic education

Looks like anything these days makes you a hero. I'll definitely keep my eye out for people who have motion sickness on airplanes and boats from now on! It will make me a hero!!

I saw this shirt last week. Just thought I'd share in honor of this thread.

firemedic.jpg

In case the logo isn't clear enough to read: "If The Patient Isn't On Fire, Get Out Of The Way!"

Are we all reading the same first article? It seems to me that he is denying heroism. quote " "The other people on the plane were all, 'He's a hero.' I was just doing my job. Even though I wasn't working," said Harris." Copyright 2012 The Commercial Appeal, Inc.

I do know that many FF are self proclaimed heroes as delusional projection of an alter ego that is rooted in their low self esteem, past failures and current inadequacies.

I have a poor opinion of the self proclaimed hero types but I don't draw this attitude form this particular article.

My opinion regarding the second article I HATE the abuse and denigrating behavior that occurs among many FF. I know they believe they are “breaking in the new guy” or “pranking” each other. The whole idea that a guy, that is a trained professional can only prove his worth by his ability to endure abuse at the hands of men he obviously wants to respect is nothing less than sick. I despise strong men that would take advantage of the weak and the subservient.

The results of these low actions have lasting destructive results on the lives of young men. I know young men with FF certs that quit public service forever because of the vile treatment they received at hands of neanderthals and troglodytes in the fire services. Kids that work hard and go to school to become like their “heroes” only to find sub human treatment at the hands of the very people they admire.

In the article I see a situation where they became so accustomed to this sick infantile behavior that one of them crossed the line. I am glad that the Lt. finally stood up for himself and did the right thing.

The sad part is that he will most likely be ostricised as a “squealer”. How do you trust a guy that would abuse you, to have your back in an emergency. The second article sickens me.

Edited to insert paragraph 5.

Edited by DFIB
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.