The internal oh s*** button. And staying calm with a quickly deteriorating vent patient.

I am not sure I see that Mike. Perhaps I'm becoming a bit soft or overly optimistic, but it seems that the OP has been doing a fair amount of introspection and has ultimately decided that he/she did in fact fail to protect a patient. The OP has been upfront about being young and inexperienced as well. You don't often see people come here and admit they messed up. I'm hopeful because I was once an young EMT-B who thought I would be taking on the world with a false sense of arrogant overconfidence. Luckily, the world beat me down and I'd like to think I'm a bit more realistic and cerebral in how I provide care.

I agree... when you're newer to your career, "doing the right thing" and "doing what won't get me fired" or "doing what will get me hired" get all mixed up. Paramedicmike- I think this guy's motivations seem OK- he's trying to get his bearings and obviously he knows SOMETHING needed to be done... he's just trying to process where he screwed up and really feeliing guilty because he knows he should have done more.

Take my example- I allowed a FTO when I was in a probational employment phase to prevent me from verbalizing important information (observations I had made) in a potentially criminal situation (pediatric death, could have been negligent and prosecutable for all we knew) to the police and receiving hospital staff. I felt sick to my stomach that whole day, it still comes back to bother me that I didn't speak up (even with all facts known, charges were never brought... just turned out to be a very sad situation that never should have happened). I now know, NEVER AGAIN will I let someone keep me from telling the truth.

I was young (er). I desperately wanted to work prehospital EMS. I was trying to fit in with an agency that I really and truly did not fit into well. Part of that is that I didn't know as much about working with people then as I do now, part of it is that our approaches to care were so different (at least, between myself and the FTO's) that it just wasn't going to work out. I thought about the medicine too much. (Direct quote.) Did a patient directly suffer harm due to my actions or inaction? No... but there were other things that I saw that weren't right, and I learned to shut up if I wanted to stay employed (until it reached a point where we mutually decided that this employment encounter just wasn't for me).

Sometimes, you just have to stand up and do what's right, and sometimes, you don't learn that until you've epically screwed up and you know in your heart that you could have done the right thing.

Move forward from this. Realize that there are always other employers, (even in a bad economy) and that caring for your patient is your number one priority. Be ethical. I bet you won't let another situation like this past you- if you do, or you start to become complacent with "well, it just wasn't my problem, it was the other guy's deal" then you need to take a good hard look at your motivations and get out of dodge before you really do kill someone.

We make mistakes. It's how we respond to those mistakes that speaks to our character and our ability to be excellent, compassionate providers-- or not... the choice is ours.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Like 1

Yeah, what chbare said, both times.

You weren't born knowing what to do in these situations. We've all had them, and that is how we've learned. You will again be challenged to do what's easy, or instead what's right, and in the future you will have much better information to procced with.

But you MUST choose early on...securly employed forever, or less so and a patient advocate...and I'm speaking from experience here...

I too look at your posts and see them changing not just in tone....from the "Hey brothers and sisters, lets talk shit about the assholes at the ER!" with horrendoes spelling and grammar, to much more well presented posts, and even just in this thread, a tone that seems to say, "Man, maybe I need to rething some things...."

When Wendy posted something like, "How about if we don't neuter our new posters until they have a chance to catch their breath.." I think that you are exactly what she was referring to....Good on you.

Tough call Brother, but you know what? There is no other way to learn this lesson. No one can explain it to you, you can't read about it, you can't figure it out on your own...there is only to live it, see how it feels, and then make new decisions based on those feelings should you find them distasteful.

I'm excited to have you here...

Dwayne

I agree CHBARE and Wendy. Please let me reinterate my point about my thoughts presenting in much more harsh a tone than they are actually intended. As I mentioned, our young friend has, indeed, presented several good scenarios for discussion. There does seem to be some genuine desire to learn from his experiences. My concern, however, as I read his comments, is that the motivation to succeed doesn't primarily stem from wanting to improve patient care. Rather, he has made several comments about his concern over not being able to impress people within his organization. My overall point is that this is the wrong approach.

My inital reply to the OP was not a knee jerk reaction. This was something I'd noticed over several threads and today it just brought me to the point that I felt it needed to be mentioned. There is no ill will intended and I stand by what I said.

Could I be reading him wrong? Absolutely. Would I like to see him succeed for the right reasons? Without a doubt. This is why I've tried to temper my comments instead of the bashing that the me of several years ago would have reflexively thrown out there.

It seems, perhaps, I should be trying a little harder.

• Like 2

First of all let me say you didn't do anything wrong bro.

In this part of the world if we get uber crook people like this bloke who need to be transferred between emporiums of doctorologists we send a hospital transfer team with them. Why? Because we recognise that dealing with complex patients who are critically ill and often on more pumps and drips and bits and pieces than you can shake a stick at is well beyond the scope of the Ambulance Service to deal with.

Your Paramedic screwed up big time but then again, perhaps he knew very little about the situation in which he found himself and didn't actually know what to do?

I'm a knowledge freak but that doesn't mean I should be in charge of inter hospital transports of mechanically ventilated super-crook people because I know sweet fuck all about mechanical ventilation and how to troubleshoot it when things go wrong.

It is clear you wish to learn from this situation and I commend you for that.

Mike, good for you for not being afraid to admit a mistake. That being said if I saw the situation you described I would have had some serious words with the paramedic. Very serious words. In a kind but firm voice. I would say to you that, you unlike the paramedic, obviously recognized this person was having trouble breathing. Part of EMT curriculum, I believe, is being able to ventilate BVM to stoma. As an EMT, you did recognize the situation, but it sounds like you failed to act accordingly. Forget liability. You knew he was having trouble breathing. You are fully trained on a BVM and should be able to ventilate a person via stoma. There really isn't any excuse for that. Being an EMT on an ICU bus is putting you in the deep end without swim lessons. You need to be on point with this stuff.

I'm going to take a different approach to this just a little. I agree with the comments that have been presented so far. What bugs me, however, is that your response to this has been, at least as far as your written word goes, that you missed your opportunity to "shine and make yourself known in the company".

What kind of approach to PATIENT care is that? Are you doing this simply to be known to your boss? Or are you doing this for the recognition from your coworkers? Or are you genuinely interested in treating patients and maintaining, if not improving, their condition/status from when you met them?

Again. My poor choice of words has no bounds and gets a foot shoved in my mouth and breaks a few teeth. It was meant to come out as doctors and nurses would trust me with their patients and they would have piece of mind because I know how to handle a unstable patient. Take for example if My dad fell over from an MI in my home town and he had to go by ground to another facility. If I saw my medic from the run walk in to take my father I would tell that nurse to get another crew.THATS NOT THE MEDIC I WANT TO BE NOR WILL EVER LET MYSELF BE!!!

Heres another one. If a 4 year old child needs to go six hours to a pediatric hospital where mommy cant ride in the back. As a parent would you like to hear how the medic (who just so happens to be taking your daughter) Almost killed a vent patient who was perfectly fine and dandy in a short trip down the damn street. F***K NO!!!!! Or would you rather take the medic who nurses and docs alike know him for being a quality out of hospital care provider whom have brought them crappy patients from hundreds of miles and keep them in the same condition or better condition than when he picked him up.

I would go with option 2

In conclusion I wish to be a care provider who is good at what he does and perhaps maybe one day so good that he is known in his region for it. I want to be able to step into a ER where im from and the when the nurse sees me they are relieved and at ease their patient is in good hands. I was blessed to meet several of those And still have them in my life. With the exception of one who died in a medevac crash. And im further blessed I have one I work with regularly who has tought me so much and in the period of only 3 weekends working here the regions nurses were requesting him BY NAME to take their vent patients and their unstable ones and if he wasnt working they would send it somewhere else.

As for the glory jocky.

If I wanted to be that kind of emt. I would've purchased a penis extender, steroids, LED lights for my truck and joined the fire department in my area. (They pay more, work less, and have better benefits anyways)

Im now off my soap box. We will now continue with your regular broadcasting

This mostly isn't your fault either. Although you should, hopefully, have recognised the situation as being serious, and suggested the ER to your partner.

Save this experience, learn from it. Once you collect enough experiences like this, go to medic school.

I did. He Said nothing.

I am. Second semester out of 3. Already completed advanced airway managment COVERING VENTS!! Why the hell didnt I think it was the PEEP indicator!!! UGH whata bloddy brainfart from hell.

And 1+ (wouldve given you 5 but it wont let me :turned: ) for your post. Thank you very much for the in depth breakdown and your view on each section. Furthermore by adding the possible complications that mightve arisen. I did think of all of those but a mucus plug. Which couldve been easily fixed.

Than again. That BVM sure looked real shiny at that moment.

• Like 2

this is easy:

Mike is a newbie working for a crappy transport company doing the granny shuffle and is terrified by every stiff he hauls.

Just where did you get that understanding from his posts? I don't see him as terrified of every stiff he hauls.

Care you explain your comments? Just asking as I didn't read any of that into any of his replies on this thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.