Run Run Run Faster than my bullets can ...............

flamingemt2011

I find myself with the unenviable task of actually agreeing with flaming. Does listening to a violent/misogynist/racist/drug referenced song CAUSE such behavior? No, but in someone who is susceptible, it certainly can push them over the edge.

I knew this song- heard it many times on the radio and saw the video on the music channel at the health club. Problem is, I never could understand most of the lyrics so I never had a clue what it was about. Catchy song- all I know.

Look- with each generation, we think the current generation behave like devil's spawn, and their music/antics/behavior/language- will cause the downfall of our society. Going back to the flappers and probably before, each generation pushes the boundaries of what is appropriate. But- let's look back just to the 50's. Does anyone recall the outrage over Elvis's gyrating hips- to the point where they would only show him from the waist up on TV. Things have "progressed" from there to the point now where much of what we can see and hear on network TV these days would make a sailor blush.

I simply feel that standards are a good thing, and if we keep lowering the bar, I wonder when does it stop- with explicit sexual acts on the Disney channel?

Because most of you heterosexuals like to procreate and then abandon your wife and kid, leaving the child to be raised by no one (because the mom is at work all the time), you have to protect children from these influences. Violent songs create violent actions, especially in the young.

Wow, fighting bigotry with ignorance and prejudice. You're such a hero.

Because most of you heterosexuals like to procreate and then abandon your wife and kid, leaving the child to be raised by no one (because the mom is at work all the time), you have to protect children from these influences. Violent songs create violent actions, especially in the young.

Are you having a childhood flashback? Dude!

I hope you don't mind me calling you dude.

I guess it is time for a new song to point a finger at.

New generation.

That would be like saying all you homosexuals are nothing but a bunch of rave-going puffs that like to do ecstasy and poppers and wear assless chaps while occasionally dancing around naked to 'Macho Man'.

Don't generalize the inactions of a precious few and say it 'pretty much applies to everyone'. I think we all know that narrow minded kind of thinking doesn't get anybody anywhere.

Just because there are shitty parents out there doesn't mean every parent now is the same. And just because a few kids are stupid enough to really take a song that far, doesn't mean they all will.

I simply feel that standards are a good thing, and if we keep lowering the bar, I wonder when does it stop- with explicit sexual acts on the Disney channel?

Very good point. I have a friend who was telling me about when saying the word pregnant on television or radio would get one fired and a reputation tarnished forever. But do we think we can shelter each up and coming generation from 'whatever happens next'?

Edited by Siffaliss

New generation.

That would be like saying all you homosexuals are nothing but a bunch of rave-going puffs that like to do ecstasy and poppers and wear assless chaps while occasionally dancing around naked to 'Macho Man'.

Don't generalize the inactions of a precious few and say it 'pretty much applies to everyone'. I think we all know that narrow minded kind of thinking doesn't get anybody anywhere.

Just because there are shitty parents out there doesn't mean every parent now is the same. And just because a few kids are stupid enough to really take a song that far, doesn't mean they all will.

Very good point. I have a friend who was telling me about when saying the word pregnant on television or radio would get one fired and a reputation tarnished forever. But do we think we can shelter each up and coming generation from 'whatever happens next'?

Old TV standards are hysterical. They could not show couples in bed, and then when they did, it was in separate beds, essentially fully dressed. Today on network TV we can see exactly what folks do in those beds.

I realize that change is inevitable, but there always used to be a certain line that could not be crossed. At some point- the 60's- it became more important to push limits and challenge the status quo than to try to maintain and/or enforce any type of societal standards. I'm no prude, and I certainly am not advocating a return to Puritanical times, but it seems to me there is a huge area of common ground between our current "anything goes" mentality here and a Sharia Law or Scarlet Letter type society.

Anytime I hear someone questioning the lax standards, there is always a push back, with someone claiming folks should have the "right" to do whatever they want, and the "right" to express ourselves, and that nobody has the "right" to tell me what to do. Yes, things like ethics and morality are subjective in many ways, but I refuse to believe that we cannot agree at least on some basic common themes for a civilized society that would draw a line in the sand. We would finally be able to say that yes, something IS wrong, and yes, someone DID go too far.

Ah political correctness at it finest banning music .. this song was banned 2010 by the Canadian Regulator for Telecoms, Radio and Television because one individual complained that it had the word "faggot" buried in the lyrics somewhere. It has been a hit for more that 20 years.

OMG I just realized Clapton is wearing a PINK suit ... gasp !

Edited by tniuqs

Ah political correctness at it finest banning music .. this song was banned 2010 by the Canadian Regulator for Telecoms, Radio and Television because one individual complained that it had the word "faggot" buried in the lyrics somewhere. It has been a hit for more that 20 years.

Seriously? It's been banned? My next few comments would be better reserved for another topic ...

Edited by Siffaliss

http://www.rollingst...canada-20110114

Quote from Rolling Stones article :

"Mark tells me that due to the ban, he has now substituted the word faggot for 'fudger'...for Canada."

Edited by tniuqs

Old TV standards are hysterical. They could not show couples in bed, and then when they did, it was in separate beds, essentially fully dressed. Today on network TV we can see exactly what folks do in those beds.

I realize that change is inevitable, but there always used to be a certain line that could not be crossed. At some point- the 60's- it became more important to push limits and challenge the status quo than to try to maintain and/or enforce any type of societal standards. I'm no prude, and I certainly am not advocating a return to Puritanical times, but it seems to me there is a huge area of common ground between our current "anything goes" mentality here and a Sharia Law or Scarlet Letter type society.

Anytime I hear someone questioning the lax standards, there is always a push back, with someone claiming folks should have the "right" to do whatever they want, and the "right" to express ourselves, and that nobody has the "right" to tell me what to do. Yes, things like ethics and morality are subjective in many ways, but I refuse to believe that we cannot agree at least on some basic common themes for a civilized society that would draw a line in the sand. We would finally be able to say that yes, something IS wrong, and yes, someone DID go too far.

Every time we look at a situation or a person’s actions we make a judgment as to its decency, accurateness’, veracity and agreement with the social contract that our society generally accepts and lives by.

With an everything goes mentality being portrayed and promoted by so many different means the importance of family and the teaching of values in the home become even more important.

Our children, even after they are young adults need and want guidance. They want us to give them advice in a calm and loving way. They want us to help bear the burden of growing up. Wither they will admit it or not they want the parents and older family members to set the standard that they can come back to.

The key for me has been personal responsibility, the conviction that everyone is responsible for their own actions and the positive or negative consequences these actions may bring. As parents we draw the line in the sand and be sure to stay in the room when it is crossed.

Not hyperbole, it is facts. I think we can all agree that the divorce rate is around 50%, here are some stats about what that creates:

http://www.civitas.org.uk/pubs/experiments.php

and that is in the UK, which has a more socialized type of government and has a better safety net than the US.

To those who say this is the norm, that society pushes the boundaries every year. I agree, but look at the crime statistics of teenagers in the 50s versus today. If you do not think that the angry lyrics in rap music do not influence young gang members you have your head in the sand.