Have you been sexually assaulted ?

romneyfor2012

Have you been sexually assaulted (includes rape)  

3 members have voted

1. 1. I am a woman who..............

• Has Been Sexually Assaulted At Least Once
    • Has Been Sexually Assaulted More Than Once
    • Has Never Been Sexually Assaulted
  2. 2. I am a man who ...................

• Has Been Sexually Assaulted At Least Once
    • Has Been Sexually Assaulted More Than Once
    • Has Never Been Sexually Assaulted

I actually think it may be of benefit to some people to know they aren't alone. Personal experience has taught me that this type of thing happens way more often than anyone would think to men AND women. I think it is easier to deal with such an experience knowing that others have been thru similar experiences. If people were able to talk about such things without fear of being judged it may be easier for them to process their feelings and move on, and yes I realize everyone doesn't work the same way. JMO.

You know, when Romney first became a member I expected to hate him because of his 'in your face' political screen name/avatar, but that's been far from the case.

He's participated in every type of thread and his posts are intelligent and well considered.

I'm not sure what his point is either, perhaps he has none that matters to anyone but him, or maybe it will be made clear later. Either way it seems to me to be placed in the correct forum for either purpose.

Eydawn, I'm not sure how you can say, "I don't see the point" and then, "The scope seems wrong" as if you don't see the point then I'm not sure how any of us can know what the scope should be?

Mobes, those that have been truly sexually assaulted, in my opinion, have dealt, are dealing, have chosen not to deal with their issues, whichever option, it's hard to believe that bumping into this poll based on one article out of a gazillion is going to push them over the edge.

Personally I think that this is a great 'place and crowd' as I'm confident that my past is part of the catalyst that thrust me into EMS.

But whether I think it's good or not, or you think it's good or not, I don't think that purposely torpedoing his thread is productive in any way. It's an anonymous poll. You can choose an option or not. No 'free text' was asked for, nor expected.

Participate or not, but how about if we just let him roll and see what happens?

Dwayne

I agree about the OP.

Good post Dwayne and it is nice to see we are disagreeing on at least 30% of topics! :fish:

I am not advocating that the thread be locked, just think it is inappropriate for the City.

If the definition of assaulted is being touched in an inapropriate manner do you think there is anyone who has not been groped at least once?

Edited by DFIB

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what his point is either, perhaps he has none that matters to anyone but him, or maybe it will be made clear later. Either way it seems to me to be placed in the correct forum for either purpose.

Eydawn, I'm not sure how you can say, "I don't see the point" and then, "The scope seems wrong" as if you don't see the point then I'm not sure how any of us can know what the scope should be?

Dwayne

Where did I say the scope seems wrong? I said I can't read the intentions, and as this topic is one of a highly sensitive nature that can be used to target or manipulate once someone knows your history, I really didn't see fit to post much... I also want to re-iterate one of my main points, that if we're going to talk about sexual assault, gender binaries are way too limiting and therefore, in the interest of having a truly fair sample of discussion, it needs to broaden a touch...

Just saying.. I think you kludged my post with someone else's in your head...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I also wonder... what's the purpose of this thread?...

...Also, the binary is a little too constricting ;-)...

Sorry Cutie, I guess I missed the smiley at the end of the sentence my first time through...

Also, I have no idea what 'kludged' means...but I'm assuming it's bad...

Dwayne

You see this limb? It's got a foot, AND A HAND! It's a beautiful kludge... no? (Kludge is slang for mashed together/mixed around/united in error or intentionally for comic effect)

I was more wondering at the motives behind starting the thread, without some explanation of said motives... there are some topics I find really sensitive, this being one of them, and as the OP appears to be gathering information for a purpose, I really wanted to know more about why... most people don't just throw up a poll expecting folks to share whether they've been hurt or not without giving more background in my experience, so it made me a little wary. That's all.

And, then, assuming it was just for informational/discussion purposes, I wanted to comment that it's not broad enough to really get into it. That's all! :)

Wendy

CO EMT-B