First Hospital Clinical....Code Blue

Kschuppan

I remember my first dead one and it was ewwwwwww you want me to touch him, and touch him we did all the while I was going OMG why did I pick this job.. Everything you said about the scene sounds pretty normal and the guys that want to prime (break the ribs) the pt for CRP well let them do it because it is the most disturbing feeling under your hands you will ever feel. I had a young fire fighter trying to do CPR (he had never done it before) and wasn't doing the compressions hard enought so I put my hands over his and primed the pt. The look on his face was devistating and from that point on I will make sure that I am the one doing the priming.

Hey give your fellow break the ribs I'm cool student my phone number 1-800-boot to the head and he and I can chat. I'm sure he's an idiot but I'll let him disprove it.

• Like 1

Apprehension is a good thing as this seems to prepare you for anything that may happen. The problem is that you can never predict what will happen next......so......use the apprehension and 'being somewhat scared' to your advantage. Wanting to get yourself involved, whether being scared or not only increases the likelihood that you are focused to what needs to be accomplished. I agree that your fellow student is a douche and needs to look for a different job. You, with your statement, shows a caring and compassionate emergency medical provider that is there not only for the patient, but for family members also. The aspect of the nurses talking about their weekend plans shows a stagnate persona of individuals that have been seeing way to much death in their job. I guarantee that if that was one of their family members, none of that talk would come into play.

Your feelings are direct on, and you will do fine. Keep your morals and ethics on line and show the others how it is supposed to be done.

Hey give your fellow break the ribs I'm cool student my phone number 1-800-boot to the head and he and I can chat. I'm sure he's an idiot but I'll let him disprove it.

Shucks.....you beat me to the 'punch'!

When I first started I was the same way, very gung-ho... And I'm still the same way, although the difference is when I'm on a call even though the adrenaline is rushing, I've got a calm head.

I work with a person who's got the "lets get 'em" attitude and he's hard to work with and when it comes down to it, tends to be over confident in theory because they aren't as confident in their care abilities.

Thankfully I haven't had to deal with too many bad calls, but the one where we needed the Medic Helicopter, I was first on scene from our crew and when this person tried to take it over, I politely told them I had it under control and they could drive the Medic Vehicle back to the hospital. Since then that person has had nothing but respect for me.

So yeah, what was the question again?

Just curious, and i am kind of worried that i should not be in this field now, but i will never quit i will keep pressing on.

Kyle, you are a very brave soul to be able to stand up and say what is bothering you (thus far) in your training. Like most things, admitting you have the problem is the first step. Now that you recognize the issue, you will need to figure out what will make it better for you. Only you can decide that.

My recommendation is to continue through the class and see if it gets better. That will be the only way to determine if this is right for you. As others have suggested, talk to your instructors/preceptors. Heck, PM me and I'll be another shoulder for you.

As to those who were joking, that is part of their dealing mechanism. It's our way (yes, I do it to...only way out of earshot of any family/friends) of dealing with the situation. It's called EMS black humor. Additionally, any time one of my patients dies, I turn to my faith. I look to the skies and I speak to my deceased grandmother. I let her know that another soul is coming her way and I ask her to guide that soul appropriately. I learned that trick when I had a 6 month old baby girl die of respiratory arrest...grandma always loved them babies. :D

Toni

I think what most are saying, at least in part, and tcripp brought this to my mind as she does many things, is that not only did you show for the call, but cared enough to question your behavior, and then still enough to seek out answers....and that is in the very finest spirit of EMS.

You've got nothing to worry about. As Toni said, stick with it. If it's not your bag, you'll figure it out and have new skills to show for your time spent in class. But I'm willing to bet that you're going to be really good at this...

Dwayne

Hang in there my friend!

I have questioned myself a couple times as to if I picked the correct profession and I always end up with the same answer " YES " I love what I do even when things go bad. It takes a special person to do what we do and I feel you have what it takes just by your post. Have fun, learn, and always talk about what you are feeling or ask quesitons after a call to see if there is something you can do better next time.

Sometimes things end bad in this profession as long as you know you have done everything possible within your training for that patient then stand tall and keep your head up!

Your classmate is an idiot!!

But then it came, a siren went off and a code blue up in the hospital happened, they wanted the students to run up there and do chest compressions for CPR. Immediately i was excited, but mostly scared $hit-Le$$ and kind of wanted to run away. We got up there and they had stabilized him with drugs and his vitals were normal, he was a vegetable, but still "alive" none the less. I was kinda of re leaved because, i am admitting this too you all so don't give me too much crap, i was scared to be around and touch a dead person. I know this job includes this a lot, im not naive, i was just scared, my adrenaline was going but i was scared, we sat in the room for a while, while the nurses worked on him (they were all joking with each other, laughing, talking about their plans for the weekend) which i felt was odd, THERE WAS A DEAD MAN IN FRONT OF THEM?!?!.

Ok, let's start by dropping the istant defensive attitude; no one is out to bust your balls because you've admitted how you were feeling during the code. What you felt was perfectly normal, and as you can tell, is almost expected. If anything, you may have already earmarked yourself as a compassionate provider

As far as the nurses reactions during the code, could it be that maybe you're unintentionally exaggerating this because you were so shocked by it? As you get more experience, you'll find that your sense of humor in stressful situations will become more 'dark/black'. It's nothing more than a coping mechanism (as tcripp pointed out). It's not that they've been through it so many times that they don't care, or they think it's a joking matter; it's how they deal with the stress of the situation so it doesn't drive them from the field because of 'burn out' or PTSD.

So what i am asking is, has any one else had these feelings before? Another EMT-B student was pissed because "he wanted to break ribs and get dirty". I was more stand off ish, interested, but also very nervous.

As far as the "...let's get in there and break some ribs!' guy....do NOT follow his lead! He'll be up on patient abuse chages in no time flat. To WILLFULLY and DELIBERATELY inflict paininjury to the patient simply for the amusement or humor of the provider is ABUSE! There is no 'grey area' here.

Just curious, and i am kind of worried that i should not be in this field now, but i will never quit i will keep pressing on.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to continue on this path, but if you find out that it's 'just not for you', then by all means, walk away. There is no shame in admitting that you have limitations. There IS shame in knowing that this is outside of your limitations, but staying in simply for the 'cool factor' or 'hero points'!

By no means am I suggesting that based on your original post that you get out of EMS, I'm only pointing out that if you DO stay in EMS, that it's for the right reasons.