Off to Mongolia....

DwayneEMTP

Hey all,

Just a quick note to say that I'm off to Oyu Tolgoi, Mongolia. Though I'm never happy to leave home, I'm truly excited to see what this new country holds in store.

I'll be working a 4wk on/4 wk off rotation with 28hrs of flights each way...Not terribly excited about the travel, but little that's interesting seems to come without some sacrifice.

Being a remote medic has truly changed everything about my life. It's given me the confidence to do my very best medicine, experiences that have shaped me in amazing ways, and most important to me, given me perspective....it's shown me what is truly important if not in 'life' in general, at least in my life.

I mention this only to make the point this point....If you believe that the City is somewhere that you come only to become stronger as a provider, only to become more intelligent, only to stay current in EMS, then you've missed one of the major opportunities available here. Networking and making true friends.

If not for the advice of Asysin2leads I believe I would have quit medic school, and I'd likely have never chosen an AAS in Paramedic Medicine if for not having my intellectual balls busted by him, Dust, ak, and many others here.

Akflightmedic got me into Afghanistan when I was worth even less than I am now as a medic. He said, "You've got the education, you seem to have the balls for it, I think you'd be a good fit." This happened at a get together that involved the now departed Dust Devil, who seconded those thoughts. Up to that point they'd had nothing to judge me on other than my opinions here and viewing how those opinions had changed over time.

Ak also helped me get my gig on the BP oil spill, that led to the offshore oil fields, and friends of mine spoke for me again and now I'm off to Mongolia.

Just the other night Mobey hit me over the head with a brick to make the point, "Why are you traveling so far from home when there are the same, or better opportunities available in Canada?" Excellent question, also posed to me by Annie. So the spare time during my year contract in Mongolia will be spent trying to make myself hire-able in Canada.

Maybe none of these things sounds good, or sexy, or exciting to you, and if not, I get that, as it's not for everyone. But just as many people have been helped by their friends here to succeed in main stream EMS.

What I'm trying to say, in my silly, long winded way, is that I cherish my EMS career. Not only because it's been enriched by being a member here, but because it would almost certainly have never been possible had I not been a member here.

Don't waste your time here guys and gals. Don't fool yourself into thinking that 'this is just anonymous words on an internet forum." Because though it is certainly possible that that is all that you may take from it, it is absolutely not all that is available.

Lets all look out for each other. Lets all keep helping each other to succeed. And maybe most of all...lets not forget that we're friends...with all that that entails.

Dwayne

Edit. Ok, so it's not such a short note after all...sue me. :-)

• Like 2

Fair seas and following winds my friend:

WOW Mongolia, Talk about going to the far ends of the Earth. You been overseas before, so you shouldn't be too surprised at what you find there.

If nothing else , you will have an interesting resume when you return.

Ed

Congrats amigo,

Mongolia should be a wonderful exparience. Kinda makes me a little giddy to think that you are headed over there. Will you be treating Mongolians or Americans? If you have time see if you can get into a mongolian wolf hunt. I have heard they are an experience different than any other.

I wish you the very best!

... Will you be treating Mongolians or Americans? If you have time see if you can get into a mongolian wolf hunt. I have heard they are an experience different than any other.

I wish you the very best!

I'll be treating Chinese and Mongolians and will be the only non Chinese/Mongolian on site I'm told. I'm pretty excited about it to tell the truth. Working with Chinese doctors and nurses on a satellite project about 35 miles from the main mine. The mine, copper and gold, is responsible for 30% of the entire countries GNP. 11,000 people total at the main site.

1,100 people at my site I'm told, building a road through Mongolia to China, so I'm thinking, and hoping, that there should be decent medicine to do and new things to learn.

Thanks for the well wishes all. I'll post pics when I can...I wish you all were coming too! Hey! Think of the stories to tell if we had the First Annual EMTCity Mongolian Get Together!

Dwayne

Wow. Makes me wonder if I have presented myself in a professional light. Thanks for sharing!

Good luck in Mongolia!

I'm not sure what you mean here? You've certainly always appeared professional to me...

Dwayne

Maybe none of these things sounds good, or sexy, or exciting to you, and if not, I get that, as it's not for everyone. But just as many people have been helped by their friends here to succeed in main stream EMS.

On the contrary, bro!

I have to admit that a tiny pang of jealousy ran through my body when I read this. What an opportunity!

I`m very happy for you to get the chance to make such an experience. Wish you a thrilling time, lots of fun and lots of interesting experiences!

Keep us posted,

Marius

Dwayne- safe travels, my friend. I have to admit, I am envious to a fault. I have always wondered what it would be like to travel to such far away places- especially in the name of making a buck or two. I cannot imagine the learning opportunities and personal enrichment you have enjoyed so far.

My present situation will not allow such adventures, but after things get sorted out in my personal life, who knows what the future may bring.

I am so envious of you, not only because you can go but because you have a support system that allows you to go. My hubby drives truck and I just cant up and go because I have noone to take care of Jayse if I do. But if that changes I will definitely look into remote medicine. Send lots of pics back :)