Georgia Is Targeting Fat Kids

hatelilpeepees

This is idiotic. It's the same shit that doesn't work. It's like criticizing kids for being dumb after they graduate from high school. When did they get put in charge of their education? What life skills are they supposed to use to manage those things that need to be managed in order to succeed?

This campaign is going to make targets of fat kids. They are going to become victims for something that they have not lived long enough to know how to control.

Educating the parents of fat kids while providing medical care is different. You are accessing the source then. It won't do much good, but at least you're playing in the right ball field.

I would love to see this tracked, though I can't imagine that there is a way to do so. So much eating is done because we confuse emotional needs with physical ones. Screw with these kids emotions, as this campaign will, and then see how fat they get. In fact I'm willing to bet that there will more than a few of them that get dead as well.

Good God...publicly attacking children. Every time I come to believe that there are some levels that we just won't stoop to I'm proved wrong.

I hate everything about this. It's ignorant, and harmful, and just plain mean spirited.

Dwayne

• Like 1

This is idiotic. It's the same shit that doesn't work. It's like criticizing kids for being dumb after they graduate from high school. When did they get put in charge of their education? What life skills are they supposed to use to manage those things that need to be managed in order to succeed?

This campaign is going to make targets of fat kids. They are going to become victims for something that they have not lived long enough to know how to control.

Educating the parents of fat kids while providing medical care is different. You are accessing the source then. It won't do much good, but at least you're playing in the right ball field.

I would love to see this tracked, though I can't imagine that there is a way to do so. So much eating is done because we confuse emotional needs with physical ones. Screw with these kids emotions, as this campaign will, and then see how fat they get. In fact I'm willing to bet that there will more than a few of them that get dead as well.

Good God...publicly attacking children. Every time I come to believe that there are some levels that we just won't stoop to I'm proved wrong.

I hate everything about this. It's ignorant, and harmful, and just plain mean spirited.

Dwayne

Dwayne, this strikes me the same way.

This segment of the population is a easy segment to target. Society see's fat people as butt's of jokes, unhealthy(true though) and less of a person. The images in the media are that only thin people with 6 pack ab's and tight asses are the best society has to offer.

Unfortunately with the health risks that are out there from being obese, diabetes, heart problems, joint problems and many others it only stands to reason that we work on obesity. thsi ad campaign does just the opposite in my opinion.

Remember back in the early 70's those videos that you watched about the dangers of driving and what could happen in a car wreck. I think one was called "Blood on the highway" or something like that. Those targeted high school kids and they were an abject failure.

In the military I believe they had videos or movies about VD and other diseases, well those didn't work either.

Now we have this obesity campaign focusing on the fat kids. Why focus on the kids, we need to focus on the parents and the schools who serve the unhealthy food. Every single day my sons cafeteria offers Pizza and another high fat/cholesterol lunch item but they also offer a Yogurt meal. My son picks the pizza every time unless there's another meal he likes better. The school also offers chocolate milk, gatorade and other sports drinks.

Shouldn't we be focusing on the healthy food options and exercise rather than showing how fat junior is.

I do like Michelle Obama's campaign but like every other first lady before her, their plans often end with their husbands defeat and many end earlier than that.

If parents at home focused on healthy food options and didn't eat out so much I think we'd be a thinner society. Exercise is also a big part of the equation.

I don't know all the answers but this campaign is not the answer. NOPE

Even though we're Democrats, Momma B fears for NJ Governor Christy, were he to run for President, his weight would not help him live throught the stress of being elected, and serving his term.

They said that about the KU football coach. He was a big guy. They said the stress of coaching the Jayhawks would kill him.

I even saw a Jayhawk t-shirt that said this to the MU Tigers.

"Our coach can eat your coach"

Yea Richard, every time I see Gov Christy he seems out of breath and sweating. I do worry for him.

I don't think that there is any doubt that being fat is a bad thing, and that creating a lot more skinny, healthy people would be good in every way, including lowering the burden on healthcare, but attacking fat kids just doesn't seem like an even halfway sane way of going about it...

The impact of the billboards in my opinion will only breed negative results.

If a fit kid that sees this billboard on the way to school he will arrive with the idea it is ok to publicly criticize fat kids. Why not? There is a sign on the road so it must be ok.

If a fat kid sees it he would probably immediately want tp skip school because he has just received public disapproval for a condition that is his parents fault.

This is wrong in so many ways.

I point the problem of obesity squarely to the marketing done by fast-food companies. Ever notice how fast-food companies use urban vernacular in their advertisements? Well the rates of diabetes and other nutritional related diseases amongst those same populations are through the roof. McDonald's and Burger King and all the others can do all they want to make "healthier" options. But when one meal of theirs contains half of your caloric intake, and you try and get people to eat those meals three times a day, they will get fat. Really fat.

I try to avoid fast food altogether. The only time I eat fast food is when I am absolutely starving and I have absolutely no other option. I would like to commission a study of which is over all worse; smoking cigarettes, or eating fast food regularly. I am actually starting to lean towards the former. But don't smoke. Cigarettes are still bad for you.

I am not so sure about all of this. The one thing I can say is that it has sparked quite a bit of discussion here, and nationwide (usually groups from other states who are against it). I remember one ER Doc that I worked with who would come back from examining an obese child and be so upset that he could not say what he wanted to say, which was "You and your kid are too "f&&&ing fat", thats why he has ________ (asthma, diabetes, hypertension), but he knew he would be fired if he told the truth and insulted them.

No one ever challenges parents on what they feed their children, and no asysin, I can not blame the fast food companies, that would be like blaming guns for gun deaths. No one forces you to drive to a fast food place and order those high fat meals, it is a choice. I have yet to ever even try one of those monster burgers at Hardees, they look good, but I am not going to eat 2,000 calories in one meal.

As far as kids seeing the signs, it is possible, but the billboards that I have seen are located along the interstate downtown, I have not seen any in a suburb or residential area. I do worry that the "fat kid" will see it, and feel bad, but dont you think they are already ridiculed every day in school ? Maybe this will make parents do the right thing and quit making excuses for their poor parenting.

I wonder if the kids featured in the billboards and their parents were fully apprised of what their picture would be used for?

One would hope that yes they were but it makes me wonder if they truly were informed.

I am quite skeptical of parents doing the right thing. They need someone else to blame other than themselves for all the ills of society. Since we are a blame free society by what I mean is this, many out there do not take responsibility for their actions or their behaviour so they have to have someone else to blame. It's not their fault their kids are fat, it's the fast food restaurants, it's the government not paying them enough to be able to afford good healthy food, it's this or that or this and that.

People want someone to blame, no matter if it's their fault they want someone else to blame because that takes off the pressure on them. If they can find someone else to blame then they can continue to make bad decisions and feel good about them.

It's so much easier to blame the other guy, to blame the fast food restaurants but the change is really easy to do. Just drive right on by them and head home to cook a low fat, low sodium dinner or lunch.

Is so much easier to sit on the couch and watch tv than it is to get up, walk a mile or two and come back and then watch tv. You can have it both ways. Just take the time to do what you know is right and stop the blame game.

There is enough blame to go around, just ask those who blame everyone for every problem they have. If you want to know who those people are, just turn on daytime television or look at the news. Heck, I'll bet if you look in the mirror you might find out it's also yourself, just like I did when I looked in the mirror one day. Not saying that anyone here blames everyone else for their problems but maybe, just maybe, we can see ourselves in this societal problem just a little.

Edited by Ruffems

I point the problem of obesity squarely to the marketing done by fast-food companies. Ever notice how fast-food companies use urban vernacular in their advertisements? Well the rates of diabetes and other nutritional related diseases amongst those same populations are through the roof. McDonald's and Burger King and all the others can do all they want to make "healthier" options. But when one meal of theirs contains half of your caloric intake, and you try and get people to eat those meals three times a day, they will get fat. Really fat.

I try to avoid fast food altogether. The only time I eat fast food is when I am absolutely starving and I have absolutely no other option. I would like to commission a study of which is over all worse; smoking cigarettes, or eating fast food regularly. I am actually starting to lean towards the former. But don't smoke. Cigarettes are still bad for you.

I agree that fast food is inherently unhealthy and that they are masterful at marketing but I think you also hit the "nail on the head" when you said you choose not to eat fast food.

Life is about choices. I am pretty sure that you were not implying that you were smarter than the people that speak "urban vernacular". But you are better informed and more disciplined.

Unless a person has a medical condition that contributes to their obesity it is about choices and personal responsibility.

It takes a lot of discipline to eat healthy, reduce your caloric intake, and especially hard to wean off sugar and fatty foods.

Our obesity rate would not speak so much to bad eating habits but to people’s desire for immediate gratification, be it food, sex, drugs. I think it speaks to not having the will and desire to deny the pleasure of eating for the greater good.

Aristotle seems to believe that pleasures compete with each other, so that the enjoyment of one kind of activity impedes other activities that cannot be carried out at the same time. He states that although some pleasures may be good, they are not worth indulging when there are other pleasures that are far better. The pleasure of eating VS the pleasure of being healthy.

I cannot blame fast food advertisement for the obese. For me it is all about choices.

People want someone to blame, no matter if it's their fault they want someone else to blame because that takes off the pressure on them. If they can find someone else to blame then they can continue to make bad decisions and feel good about them.

It's so much easier to blame the other guy, to blame the fast food restaurants but the change is really easy to do. Just drive right on by them and head home to cook a low fat, low sodium dinner or lunch.

I'm picking up what you are throwing down bro.