Religious topic spinoff from another thread

ERDoc

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Herbie I have to disagree that forcing someone to listen to religion is a good thing, I believe this country was founded on that principle. I will give you an analogy, Do you think it would be appropriate for a group of 5 year olds to be forced to listen to a gay pride activist, that preached tolerance for homosexuality and was attempting to convert the 5 year olds at an early age (I am not saying there is anything wrong with homosexuality, just using it as a reference) ? Of course you would not, because the kids are too vulnerable at that age. Most homeless people either have an addiction or mental health problem, so you are taking advantage of that.

The problem with religious people is that most of you believe "The Bible is the greatest book that I should read". If you are religious, that is great. Go to church 7 days per week, sell all your worldly posessions, shave your head, build a shrine, just stop trying to force your beliefs on others. If i wanted to know about your religion, I would come ask you questions.

Now my question from the other thread? Is Muslim, Mormon, and Scientology real religions ?

Edited by hatelilpeepees

Herbie I have to disagree that forcing someone to listen to religion is a good thing, I believe this country was founded on that principle. I will give you an analogy, Do you think it would be appropriate for a group of 5 year olds to be forced to listen to a gay pride activist, that preached tolerance for homosexuality and was attempting to convert the 5 year olds at an early age (I am not saying there is anything wrong with homosexuality, just using it as a reference) ? Of course you would not, because the kids are too vulnerable at that age. Most homeless people either have an addiction or mental health problem, so you are taking advantage of that.

The problem with religious people is that most of you believe "The Bible is the greatest book that I should read". If you are religious, that is great. Go to church 7 days per week, sell all your worldly posessions, shave your head, build a shrine, just stop trying to force your beliefs on others. If i wanted to know about your religion, I would come ask you questions.

Now my question from the other thread? Is Muslim, Mormon, and Scientology real religions ?

I cannot speak for every faith based shelter, Some are strictly a meal and a cot, while others are more evangelical. Again- these folks know going in what they will face. Unless these shelters FORCE someone to convert to a specific religion, I see no harm. Their messages are usually nondemoninational, and talk about the golden rule, taking responsibility, etc. I've seen the paperwork they provide these folks- very innocuous, and certainly not heavy handed.

Religion is a tough subject. I think that over the years, the societal pendulum has swung from us being fairly neutral, to more hard core religious, and now we almost seem to be anti-religion. I think the proper place is somewhere in the middle.

(Forgot to finish a sentence)

Edited by HERBIE1