Hurricane Irene Response

Medic2588

Sorry for getting to the party late folks. I was on duty this whole weekend and this is the first chance at a comp. We faired OK (family that is) town had some issues with flooding, even today, For those in the Northeast that know Route 287 it was completley washed out on the northbound lanes in Booton. I mean its gone!! I passed it twice running patients to the trauma center and today on my way to work it was gone. Amazing the power of water. Had a ton of calls during the storm. I will NEVER again complain about the 3am toe call. Try answering a choking call in 45mph winds, blinding rain, and in a home with no power at 11pm. We did not stop running, my service that is, we answered all calls that were reported to dispatch.

Hopefully everyone else on here faired well or were without much disruption.

Sorry for getting to the party late folks. I was on duty this whole weekend and this is the first chance at a comp. We faired OK (family that is) town had some issues with flooding, even today, For those in the Northeast that know Route 287 it was completley washed out on the northbound lanes in Booton. I mean its gone!! I passed it twice running patients to the trauma center and today on my way to work it was gone. Amazing the power of water. Had a ton of calls during the storm. I will NEVER again complain about the 3am toe call. Try answering a choking call in 45mph winds, blinding rain, and in a home with no power at 11pm. We did not stop running, my service that is, we answered all calls that were reported to dispatch.

Hopefully everyone else on here faired well or were without much disruption.

Why is it that when you should be inside a house, riding a storm out that you end up needing an ambulance? Were all those calls truly emergencies?

Why is it that when you should be inside a house, riding a storm out that you end up needing an ambulance? Were all those calls truly emergencies?

Most were Ruff. We are far inland so no evac orders were issued thus alot of shelter in place folks. We had a pedi unresponsive, DOB, labor pain, traumatic amputation, possible electrocution, and finally a CO call. Thankfully all had good outcomes: pedi was a syncopy episode with hx of seizure, DOB was a bad asthma attack that their inhaler wouldn't correct, labor pain was probably from the stress (still hasn't delivered), amputation made it albeit without an apendage, electro wasn't that bad RMAed (still don't believe it was an elctro), CO spent 24hrs in the hyperbaric chamber an made a full recovery.

Most in my area made it fine without assistance, we are still cleaning up though, but I will say it was a hairy day and night riding out the storm in a fiberglass box but brought a whole new perspective to my patient care.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.