Terrible bleeding from the mouth after a bad car accident

Ruff gave a great example of a 3am stubbed toe :thumbsup: so I wont elaborate further. Most folks use it as a metaphore for the late night call that doesn't seem to warrent an ambulance yet we are there.

yeah, but I'd never ever ever call an ambulance for a broken toe. I'd take a cab or wait till I could get a ride. When I'm out of town I always have a car so it's a moot point. But I can say that driving with a broken toe on my driving foot was torture.

But yeah, the stubbed toe call at 3am is any call that could have waited till the doctor's office or till they could have gotten a ride.

But all in all, if your taxes support EMS then why can't you use them whenever you want. I once had a call for a lady with a small lac to her earlobe. I ended up transporting her, her two children and her spousal unit to the ER in the same ambulance all for minor complaints.

She actually told me this "I already owe you guys 5 thousand dollars which I can't pay, add this one to what I owe" I had to bite my tongue on that one but I did.

My worry is causing neck injury if I keep playing with his position too much, but very valid point

A second provider could care a bit for the spine (should be done when turning patients anyway, even if a collar is on).

If you're alone: vital functions (CPR including airway) come first.

Note: chances are lower than mostly expected that you really do any more harm to the spine than already done by the accident. If you can care for c-spine, do it - if not, don't hesitate to focus on all the other things you can do for the patient.

You also have to remember that less than 10% of patients with major trauma have a C-Spine injury. If they patient had no C-Spine pain, I would opt for transporting them in a sitting position so that the airway stays intact. If the patient had C-Spine pain I would opt for immobilizing but putting the patient on their side as mentioned. I have never encountered this from a car accident, but have encountered it with GSWs where the tried to commit suicide by putting gun in mouth or under chin.

You also have to remember that less than 10% of patients with major trauma have a C-Spine injury. If they patient had no C-Spine pain, I would opt for transporting them in a sitting position so that the airway stays intact. If the patient had C-Spine pain I would opt for immobilizing but putting the patient on their side as mentioned. I have never encountered this from a car accident, but have encountered it with GSWs where the tried to commit suicide by putting gun in mouth or under chin.

99% of the patients we immobilize do not need it.

Edited by hatelilpeepees

Matt, you have suction as a 'first aider' but no collar? That seems weird...

And, as others have explained...life before limb...Cspine makes no difference to a corps, right?

Great questions man...

Dwayne

Note: chances are lower than mostly expected that you really do any more harm to the spine than already done by the accident. If you can care for c-spine, do it - if not, don't hesitate to focus on all the other things you can do for the patient.

You also have to remember that less than 10% of patients with major trauma have a C-Spine injury.

I didn't know that!

Matt, you have suction as a 'first aider' but no collar? That seems weird...

Yes, I agree. I even told it to my instructor and he said "it's a regulations issue, just wait for the ambulance and try to keep his neck in position."

Grab a towel make a roll and tape, instant neck collar.

I'll keep that in mind. Do paramedics improvise a lot?

I have never encountered this from a car accident, but have encountered it with GSWs where the tried to commit suicide by putting gun in mouth or under chin.

Aha, I knew my scenario was possible somehow!

And, as others have explained...life before limb...Cspine makes no difference to a corps, right?

Great questions man...

Thanks :) And you're definitely right, I didn't plan the put his limbs first if he needs immediate life-care.

You guys are terrific!

Do paramedics improvise a lot?

You guys are terrific!

1) Paramedics and EMTs do a lot of improvization, and still remain in protocols. The "mantra" remains "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome!"

2) Damn Right We Are!

• 8 years later...
On 7/26/2011 at 6:24 AM, Matthew99 said:

I suppose my mind can conjure up some pretty dreadful events. Is it just me or does everyone keep imagining car accidents, someone fainting, etc, in their mind while walking down the streets looking at the day to day event? That's how

I came up with this scenario, and in this scenario, I wasn't 100% sure if I'd do the right thing!

FireMedicChick your reply is great and makes a whole lot of sense to me, especially when mentioning nasal cannula. Would it be fair to say that using nasal cannula is recommended when the patient has lots of mouth secretions? What about using both nasal cannula AND oxygen mask? Is that even possible?

Yes, first move as always is call 911 :)

Valid point!

My worry is causing neck injury if I keep playing with his position too much, but very valid point :)

I recently had a care accident and my car was total. I have fracture ribs and currently going under Physical Therapy... A month 1/2, after the Therapy started I went to floss my teeth and a flood of blood occurred.  My husband ran and got lots of gauges to try to stop the bleeding...which took more than 15 minutes.  I went back to Physical Therapy the next day and mentioned what happen....They were reluctant to acknowledged that the cause of this event was the car accident...I plan to go to a Neurologist as I need to make sure that this event was not caused by the car accident.  What do you think?