central ac troubleshooting

paraloco

As I was getting ready for work this morning, the power went out. My wife called about an hour later, told me the power was back on, but the ac would not come on. I tried to get relief to go home. Ain't happening. My daughter's boyfriend is an electrician, confirms that power is getting to the compressor. The blower will not start. The compressor comes on when he pushes in the contactor, stops when he releases it. I think its the 24 volt transformer, probably got fried by a power surge from the electrical storm that hit right before I got up. The capacitor does not appear damaged. Any ideas?

If one can't start a line on it or Defb it ... I would use a call out so that I don't break it even more.

btw I am no longer permitted to touch photocopy machines either, I am convinced they are possessed by evil gremlins that hate me.

cheers and good luck.

360 joules to the power supply, one mg epi and a full dose of levophed and if that doesn't work, call the hvac guy.

But seriously, call the hvac guy.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

On the back bottom there should be a "red" reset button (usually about middle of bottom, between house and unit). Try pushing that. If you do not have one, or pushing that does not work, take the cover off, and look for a round thingy, about the same size as the opening of a 32oz drinking cup, kind of frisbee like (on my unit, if you were standing in front of unit looking at house, it was on the back left side of the unit). It is some kind of capacitor or transistor, not sure what it is called but had to replace mine about 3 times, part cost under $50. If not that, open your wallet, and call the HVAC guy. In the meantime, you can buy a small window unit at walmart for around $125, is only big enough to really cool one room, but I lived in my bedroom for about a week with one, one summer when we were waiting on financing for a replacement AC unit. On the off chance you need a whole new unit, check with your power or gas company, as many of rebates and financing for replacing old systems. When I replaced mine I got like $1700 back, and my power company financed it at 0% for 36 months.