Sharp object stuck in the body

Alice24

Say someone got a serious injury from a sharp object. Like, a knife, or a sharp piece of wood, or whatever, and it stays in their body, and here I come to give first aid. My first instinct would be to leave the object there, call an ambulance, and there would be nothing else I could do. Is that right?

PS. I'm a medic. And it never happened to me, I'm just wondering.

Say someone got a serious injury from a sharp object. Like, a knife, or a sharp piece of wood, or whatever, and it stays in their body, and here I come to give first aid. My first instinct would be to leave the object there, call an ambulance, and there would be nothing else I could do. Is that right?

PS. I'm a medic. And it never happened to me, I'm just wondering.

I have to call BS. If you are really a medic, this would have been covered in your EMT course, your paramedic course and is even covered in every basic first aid course. Misrepresentation of yourself as a medic is not highly respected on these forums.

• Like 1

I have to call BS. If you are really a medic, this would have been covered in your EMT course, your paramedic course and is even covered in every basic first aid course. Misrepresentation of yourself as a medic is not highly respected on these forums.

+10000000000

Sweet.

i invented time travel last week, i might go back a few minutes and pretend i didn't read that OP

Wow, you guys are the most terrible people in the world :(

I will just reply again since I don't feel fair letting this be.

I am a medic. Occasionally one forgets stuff. I do RECALL what was being said to me, and that's why I developed the instict since I remembered the idea was not to take it out.

I think I remember a lot of stuff from my course, more than the average medic. I occasionally forget a thing or two -- it happens. One never remembers EVERYTHING 100%, sometimes a single fact may be a little blurry, is all.

I can scan and show you my medic certificate if it helps, but I don't really see the need to verify my position to you.

I don't see why you had to reply so viciously to someone seeking help. Whether it's medical help, or help in knowledge. That's pointlessly mean, downgrading, and seems to be of more destructive use than helpful use. Wouldn't you rather I get out of here with the confidence of knowing to take the right actions? But, I guess you rather insult me, doubt me, step on me, to make yourself feel just a little better about yourself. Well, I hope you're happy.

I won't be posting back at this forum if this is the prevailing attitude here. I was just hoping to better myself. I guess it's not a valued virtue here.

Ah, I just found this:

"The first step to treating someone with a stab wound is DO NOT REMOVE THE IMPALED OBJECT if it is still inside the patient. This is the most important thing because the knife or object could be stopping whatever bleeding could be happening. If the object is still impaled, secure it the way it is on the body. You can do this by using a cup to brace it, taping it down to the body with rolls of cloth next to each side."

I remembered correctly then :) See?

No drama or time travel thank you. I guess spending more time googling is better then asking questions here. I tend to go by a lifetime mantra of "the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask". Clearly that is not applied here!

I still can't get over the degree of meanness! Do you guys create pain or alleviate it?

Wait wait wait, when you "medic" what kind of "medic" are you talking about

Are you talking about "medic" as in a term applied by co-workers in some kind of industrial first aid sense or are you implying that you are a educated health care professional ie a Paramedic.

Cause if its the former then i can see why us jumping up and down will be just plain wrong, but if you are in fact claiming to be a paramedic then you should quit right now. Its not about meanness, or downgrading or pointless or whatever else you posted, but for god sake, if you cant remember something as basic as first aid i wouldn't want you anywhere near me or a patient.

You drop into a forum like this with this mind blowingly pathetic question (you have in fact possibly come up with the first ever "dumb question", given your apparent credentials) A forum full of career professionals asking a question that a boy scout would know the answer to, say you have "forgot" and then add on the end P.S Im a medic?? Can you not see what was wrong with that?

I still call BS

P.S. Im Batman

EDIT :

ok ok, ive flown off the handle, but frankly i dont care, im tired, hacked off, i have an infection where i got a needle stick injury last week and looks like i hit my finger with a mallet, my best friend committed suicide 1 month ago today and to top it all off ive gotta get soemone to shove a camera up my butt next week cause ive got blood coming from places it shouldn't - lifes not peachy but you need to harden up.

Edited by BushyFromOz
  • Like 1

To Batman:

Look forward to the versed ... I did and I wasn't disappointed. :shiftyninja:

From Robin. :whistle:

• Like 1

I concur!!! Respectfully agree!!! Yup!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.