Questions on White Blood Cell counts

Just Plain Ruff

Hello All, My dad's in the hospital after a 4 day stretch of high fever and nausea etc etc.

Finally went to the ER two nights ago and his white count was 2.2 and they sent him nome.

He was still sick yesterday so I called the ambulance since he wasn't about to go quietly into this good night and he went ot the ER.

His white count was then 2.0

They admitted him to the hospital.

His repeat white count after a dose of Doxycycline and Zosyn continued to fall and it shows late last night 1.8 and his most recent white count is .65

He has a history of having 5 ticks removed from him over the last holiday weekend.

He became sick about 3 days after the ticks were removed.

Other than cancer what can cuase the mass decrease in his white cell counts.

The internet where I'm at is no help because they have it locked down and it won't even go to some of the sites I found regarding the info.

Thanks

Hello All, My dad's in the hospital after a 4 day stretch of high fever and nausea etc etc.

Finally went to the ER two nights ago and his white count was 2.2 and they sent him nome.

He was still sick yesterday so I called the ambulance since he wasn't about to go quietly into this good night and he went ot the ER.

His white count was then 2.0

They admitted him to the hospital.

His repeat white count after a dose of Doxycycline and Zosyn continued to fall and it shows late last night 1.8 and his most recent white count is .65

He has a history of having 5 ticks removed from him over the last holiday weekend.

He became sick about 3 days after the ticks were removed.

Other than cancer what can cuase the mass decrease in his white cell counts.

The internet where I'm at is no help because they have it locked down and it won't even go to some of the sites I found regarding the info.

Thanks

Take a look at this, and this.

What part of the country does your father live in? From what info you know, I would say my biggest concern is erlichiosis.

Edited by ERDoc

My first thought would be Rocky Mountain Spotted Tick Fever... I had it when I was a kid and remember my mom saying I had a very diminished WBC... But the doc would know a ton more than I and had a great link that even went over the tick fever...

Good luck and I really hope your dad recovers quickly!!!

Ruff you should be asking an immunologist or an internist this is not a EMS level query (although reaching out, keep us posted and I do hear your concern very understandable.)

Things like is he on steroids, or has he been, his serum cortisol levels, neutrophil and band count +++ and a biggy with PMHX of ticks is Lymes Disease as this can be very difficult to diagnose as well.