First Response Business?

You could open a business and market to "First Responders". Sell EMS Supplies, at prices that aren't bordering Medicare Fraud... and don't cost an Arm and a Leg. Fair prices, and a paper catalog with images, and I'd buy from you. I'm the purchasing agent for two services, and I always look for the name brand product, with the best price.

Ah! I saw something in your post... you mentioned transporting folks to doctor's appointments. It's much easier to get certified as an agency providing non-skilled assistance to the home-bound/elderly/non-car possessing. If I am understanding your intent correctly, it is to provide service to your community... let me tell you, as someone who works in an assisted living facility, there are SO MANY people who could use even just some companionship or a ride to the grocery store, who cannot afford to pay privately for said services. Something to consider, eh?

There's really no place for another first response agency, especially somewhere like Oregon where paramedicine is pretty well established, on most scenes. Usually it's too much with the fire department AND the EMS crew, especially if they're separate agencies. Add in another "first response" group, and boy do you have too many cooks. I know you want to be helpful, but unless you're the only thing around, you really are only going to get in the way and make people angry. I'm not saying this to be mean, honest to God. I get your intentions. I'm saying this based on my experience with different first responder groups in both urban and rural settings.

The reason we're talking about billing and payment is because you *will* need resources to cover your overhead expenses. Your basic first aid supplies may be tax deductible, but insurance for your practice isn't (and you don't want to practice without some form of liability coverage, trust me on this.) If you're an official agency, Good Samaritan type laws no longer apply to you as you have a perceived duty to act. Liability in medical practice of any kind is HUGE.

I'm an EMT-B, have been for 6 years. I'm also now a nursing student. I started as a First Responder. When I was a First Responder, I thought I was cool as all hell, and super useful (I was also 16). Then I became an EMT, and realized just how little I knew other than physical skills. My assessments sucked, and I couldn't give any useful info to higher levels of care. As an EMT, I thought I was cool as hell. I voluntarily, without pay, dutifully helped the RA's at my college take care of drunken, vomiting undergrads. Then I started getting into the pathophysiology of injury and disease processes, and realized just how little I knew as an EMT. I could do more than I could as a First Responder, and had some basic semblance of what was really going on with patients, but it seriously wasn't enough. I realized that some of my decisions, based on how little I knew, could actually endanger my patients.

It's not an ego thing from many of the higher level providers here on this forum- if anything, it's embarrassment and humility, because most of us have been where you sit right now, and realize that we also once spoke from positions of ignorance (note- ignorance does not equal stupidity, please don't take this statement that way.) We're trying to let you in on it, but some of us are harsher than others with the approach. Don't let that rebuff you or think it's personal- it's not.

We're not trying to shit on your parade, honest. We're trying, as the people you will potentially be interfacing with in the field, to give you our honest assessment of the plan.

Your honest to goodness best bet is what Tcripp just said- go talk to the local EMS agencies, as they already know all the rules governing practice, and pitch your idea to them. See how it is received. You will need their support, since you are not planning to compete with them, but rather be "another resource" in the field. If they don't like you or support you, they will block you at the levels you need to be certified at. Just honestly the way the world works.

Good luck to you... hope this post was helpful in some way.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So, basically you wnat oto be a BUFF, or WANKER.

You want to put light and sirens in your POV and race to call like a _____________. This is a TERRIBLE idea, for all the reasons everyone previous to me posted, and for several others......

Unless you are inthe middle of nowhere, and the ambulance takes 45 minutes to get to the scene,,,,, as someone said, wouldn't you better served joining the local volunteer FD ?????

Certifiaction, Insureance, equipment alone will run you ohhhh,,,,several hundred thousadns dollars, IMHO.

go join the local VFD, get a ltter from the chief, and you can drive around with a flashing light in your car just like all the others..... It should make you feel important, and there you go, PROBLEM SOLVED.

Unless you are inthe middle of nowhere, and the ambulance takes 45 minutes to get to the scene,,,,, as someone said, wouldn't you better served joining the local volunteer FD ?????

If it's really about better serving the community, how about they quit spending money on pointless first responders and just pay for more ambulances?

Not that it is entirely relevant, but I pay $168.50/yr for FT EMTB in the Boston area. Not sure, but heard location affects rates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No it is not relevant because you are talking about being personally insured in addition to whatever your employer already carries on you, the vehicles, medical malpractice, workers comp, disability, etc. Throw some life insurance in there as well for good measure.

I have a friend who was trying to start an ambulance service to take over coverage from an existing service.

He had 2 million dollars in seed money and that's gone and he's nowhere near even close to starting this service.

I know that comparing a ambulance service to a first responder service is comparing apples to oranges but he has gotten a true wake up call on this situation and what you are trying to do is somewhat similar minus the ambulance.

How much money do you have set aside for this service of yours?

My friend thought 2 million was enough but in the end, it was about 1/3 the amount he really needs. Now his investor is balking at giving any more money and he's at a dead stand still.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.