EMT Student With ADHD

Just a general question for anyone who has a straight forward answer about those who live with adult ADHD. The question is for all EMS who can share a few things on either how/if you address the issue and ways to use it in a positive way.

Also leave a comment on what it means to be in the same room with an obvious ADHD person.

I just feel uncomfortable in EMT because i always HAVE to be doing something... or making noise... and i can't help but feel that people just hate ADHD. They think "it's just another excuse for being annoying" (quoted by a fellow student) . But in reality, i try harder (and apparently fail) at NOT being annoying...

Thank you

joe

Just a general question for anyone who has a straight forward answer about those who live with adult ADHD. The question is for all EMS who can share a few things on either how/if you address the issue and ways to use it in a positive way.

Also leave a comment on what it means to be in the same room with an obvious ADHD person.

I just feel uncomfortable in EMT because i always HAVE to be doing something... or making noise... and i can't help but feel that people just hate ADHD. They think "it's just another excuse for being annoying" (quoted by a fellow student) . But in reality, i try harder (and apparently fail) at NOT being annoying...

Thank you

joe

First off, are you being treated for ADHD? Are you being medicated, if so what meds and what is the dosage? Have you spoken to your primary care physician about this? If you are taking meds, how do they affect you, (do they 'amp you up', or do they slow you down?)?

Always having to do something doesn't mean that it HAS to make noise while doing it... there are other outlets that are less annoying to your fellow crewmembers. For example, if you're playing video games while they're trying to rest, use a headset...

LS

First off, are you being treated for ADHD? Are you being medicated, if so what meds and what is the dosage? Have you spoken to your primary care physician about this? If you are taking meds, how do they affect you, (do they 'amp you up', or do they slow you down?)?

Always having to do something doesn't mean that it HAS to make noise while doing it... there are other outlets that are less annoying to your fellow crewmembers. For example, if you're playing video games while they're trying to rest, use a headset...

LS

All good points LS, I had a first officer on a King Air 200 medivac aircraft, controlled by meds and extremely focused .. fact is he could land it in rough weather way better than the Captain.

There even may be a very respected member of EMT City that has this affliction, as does my Son, who although is irritating sometimes (but that's a Father Son issue I believe) :wacko:

cheers

I know several EMS members who have ADHD or ADD, they learn to compensate. One crochets on the unit during down time so her hands are doing something busy and she has something to focus on, another plays on the iphone with headphones. There are ways to deal with it in a non-disruptive manner, you just need to find what works for you.

Adults living with ADHD are not like children.

You do not get to use it as an excuse for being disruptive, or lacking concentration.

A HUGE portion of living with ADD/ADHD as an adult is impulse control.

There are massiva amounts of information and workshops on how to deal with adult ADHD, in extreme cases you may need medicated even if only temporarily to help you through school.

Here are some things that DO work

* Silly puddy/stress ball

* Scrap paper to doodle on

* Chewing gum

* Get plenty of sleep (helps with attention)

* Set timelines & allow yourself "release" time. That is to say "From 1pm to 2:30 I need to concentrate on books, at 2:30 I will jog for 5min"

* Be cognitive of the disorder. Realize when you are running out of breath just talking.... you have probably been rambling.

* As opposed to what others are saying, stay away from video games as they are stimulating an over stimulated brain

• Like 1

Hey Joe, curious - your title says "EMT Student" - are you asking about ways to handle class or down-time on shift?

I have ADHD. I wasn't diagnosed until mid-college career. I took meds (Adderal) thru college and for a couple years after. Made a HUGE difference for me, but took a lot of tweaking to get the dosage right. I was not on them thru paramedic school this last year because I didn't have insurance and couldn't afford it. But, I have learned a lot about ways to adapt over the years and what helps me focus enough to study. If you're having trouble in class, shoot me PM and I can give you some things that have worked for me.

If it's down-time on shift that you're struggling with, I can totally relate. I HATE slow days! Sitting around waiting drives me crazy. So I keep busy. This last year I pretty much always had studying to do for medic school, so that helped, but I can only sit and study for so long. I always keep shoes and pt clothes in my locker and will often go do some laps around the station (or the bay if it's cold/nasty out). I'll run the stairs up to the training lab, hit the heavy bag out in the bay, push-ups, sit-ups - anything to get my heart rate up and burn off some of that energy. Granted, you can't do that if you're on the bubble, but it's a great thing for anybody to do for many reasons if you're down the rotation. I also keep a squishy stress ball in my locker that I can play with, keep my hands busy, without making a bunch of noise. Good to use when watching tv or something. I also spend a lot of independent time up in the training lab practicing skills. It's productive, can never practice too much, and keeps me busy and not pacing/fidgeting in front of crew mates. On the more humorous side, I also have a sizable collection of candid photos of me and all our training dummies in all sorts of places and situations around the station, haha. :innocent: I'm currently in a smaller rural system, so I have to get creative, and yeah, some days I feel like I'm going crazy, but you can make it work.

Just a thought, career-wise, maybe think about what type of system you want to work in. Sure, everybody has down days, but you can pick a type of system that averages a higher, faster pace. I know that for me, the system I am currently in is not ideal. During externship I spent time in a busy urban system that runs system status. I loved it. 14hr shifts instead of 24s and I was almost always busy and the scenery constantly changed as we moved from post to post around the city. So, in my hunting for a more long-term job, I am looking for a larger urban system to work in with lots of different facets and opportunities. This is because I understand how my brain ticks and how and where I function best. I know that I need variety, continuous mental and physical challenges, and a faster-paced environment.

Personally, I see my ADHD as an asset, almost an advantage, working in EMS. Yeah, I can have a short attention span and be easily distracted. But I also have the ability to "hyperfocus", or focus in extremely intently on one task or situation. I also focus and perform best in high-stimulus, high-stress, high-pressure situations - it actually calms me down in a way. Meaning, in EMS, when I need to be focused, I am. I handle pressure much better than most. I also have a very strong sense of empathy and am easily able to read people's non-verbal cues to figure out the bigger picture. It makes me more able to connect with patients. What you need to do is learn as much about ADHD as you can, learn about the different types (me, I have "high-stim" ADHD) and how it affects you. A great resource for me has been the book Driven to Distraction by Edward Hallowell & John Ratey, both psychiatrists with ADHD. Another good book is ADD on the Job by Lynn Weiss, it has lots of suggestions for adapting at work and also helps give you the perspective of people trying to work with you.

EMS can actually be really great field for a person with ADHD - a field where you can put a lot of your unique strengths to work. As a matter of fact, I have found that since working in the field, I have not really needed medication. I still struggle sometimes, but overall, the slightly chaotic schedule and demands combined with the paramilitary-type structure really works for me. That - and a little growing up and taking ownership of my limitations. If you're serious about figuring yourself out, read that first book for sure. And if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Remember - ADHD isn't a disease or some sort of affliction - it's simply a different way of wiring the brain, like being left-handed. You just have to understand it.

Good luck! :turned:

*edited for formatting

Edited by maverick56

• 2 weeks later...

For me working and attending class require completely different management strategies. When I’m working I tend to stay off medication and allow myself other outlets that benefit from the tendency to hyper-focus on the task at hand, my patient care included. My favourite activities are climbing (rock, ice, alpine), and skiing; both activities that require an intense focus to be done well and with a reasonable margin of safety. When I’m in school I choose to be medicated so that I’m physically/mentally capable of paying attention to the material being covered. I also try and plan my day so that I have some kind of physical outlet prior to class and take little walks at every class break.

With regard to medication, if you do choose to use a stimulant medication, go with one that is slow release. In my own experience slow release formulations have a drastically lessened affect on your sleep cycles and they avoid a rather vicious high-low/symptoms controlled-symptoms uncontrolled cycle.

I’ll leave that one for Squint and any of my co-workers who would like to chime in. ;)

Thank you

joe

Three things come to play here. Firstly, replace any “noise-making” self-soothing type habits you have with other activities less likely to disturb others. Ie. something quiet. Secondly, don’t be afraid to educate people on what the condition is and how it can affect those who deal with it. Sometimes irritation is strictly a product of ignorance. Thirdly, sometimes you need to know when to tell someone to get bent in as professional a way as possible. Like it or not some people in EMS are very closed minded and extremely lacking in adaptability.

I’ll leave that one for Squint and any of my co-workers who would like to chime in.

You want me to comment ... oh look something shiny ....... J/K.